Let's say you wanted to celebrate with an impulse-buy budget uke

Plainsong

Reaction score
What would you choose? I loves me some aqua Kala tenor, basically because I think that retro aqua is cool, but what in and around that price range would you go for? I've been eying the Kala jazz-tenor because I played one and it was too cool for school - but as I played it unplugged in a pub, I couldn't tell ya much about the sound because it's not a loud uke unplugged. I do have an amp though. The jazz tenor is more than I want to spend, but...it's so cool. :rolleyes:

So what cheap n cheerful (probably laminate) sweet sounding tenor or concert uke would be on your impulse-buy list? :rock:

LOL, then you should be good at helping me spend my money. I prefer buying from MGM because with the setups on these budget ukes, you just never know, and he's an online seller who sets it up for ya. :)

If I was making a cheap impulse buy, I'd go for one of those Ohana sopraninos. I guess if it has to be a concert of tenor, perhaps another Ohana such as the plastic back/spruce top concert. I've never played any Ohana ukes and am a bit curious about them.

My problem lately has been that the impulse buys have been very costly...:eek:

hmmm from MGM, Kala Mango or maybe the Tahitian ukulele for a change of pace.

I thought about that Kala Mango, but in that Kala black tenor review from a UU member that slips my mind at the moment, he mentioned the tuning pegs were very short on the Mango, and that the problem was corrected by Kala on the black tenor. That makes me go "hmmmm" about the Mango. Anyone have experience with that one way or the other?

I thought about that Kala Mango, but in that Kala black tenor review from a UU member that slips my mind at the moment, he mentioned the tuning pegs were very short on the Mango, and that the problem was corrected by Kala on the black tenor. That makes me go "hmmmm" about the Mango. Anyone have experience with that one way or the other?

WS64 just got one.

One of these screen-printed sopranos, maybe.

Like the Pineapple (BIN $77.97):

3448_1_sbl.JPG

Or the Kiwi (BIN $72.96):

3994_1.JPG

These Santini F-hole ukuleles look cool.

Like this one in a cherry finish (BIN $54.95):

ukulele_brown_sanmb_06.jpg

They also make this funky triangle uke (BIN $54.95):

ukulele_oblong_boga_06.jpg

This one's intriguing. A hand-made Hawaiian soprano with bearclaw pine top, Koa back and Mahogany sides. Unknown maker! OooooOOooOo...

Current bid: $61.00

1a98_1.JPG

Awesome funkiness. But since my koa flea subdues the need for funky at leat for the moment, I'll keep it to the traditional guitar shape. Those Kiwi Kalas are killer though. :)

edit - that funky solid koa at least has to go on the watch list!

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm in the same boat... I've been looking at a cheap baritone to satisfy my UAS craving... probably the Lanikai LU-21B or possibly the Silver Creek all solid mahogany baritone (i've never heard of Silver Creek before so I'm not sure what to expect here)... now I just have to figure out how to get it tuned to GCEA.

Last edited:
edit - that funky solid koa at least has to go on the watch list!

Back off! That's been on my (long) watch list since last night. :p

I think I need to add ebay to my 'block" list.

My birthday's coming up and my UAS is flaring up, so I've been thinking about this same question myself.

I want to get something that I don't have to obsess over (from a humidity standpoint, note my location). I want something fun and different because I might hang it on the wall in my office.

So....I was thinking maybe a nice Cigar Box Uke, or a Kiwaya K-wave Les Paul or Strat style, or maybe a Fluke. I wish Kiwaya made a tenor scale rock uke.

I was thinking maybe a nice Cigar Box Uke, or a Kiwaya K-wave Les Paul or Strat style, or maybe a Fluke. I wish Kiwaya made a tenor scale rock uke.

If I could I'll buy the Cigar Box Uke, the Kiwaya K-wave Les Paul AND the Strat style, AND a Fluke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nana::nana::rock::rock:

If I could I'll buy the Cigar Box Uke, the Kiwaya K-wave Les Paul AND the Strat style, AND a Fluke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might not have the outward signs UAS but you're definitely infected. :eek:

I love those k-waves, but they're a bit out of my budget price range at about 300 bucks. The cigar box....meh. I saw one at the last uke meetup, and it wasn't my thing. I think it's hardcore though for ukesters though, just not my thing. :)

I'm loving all these different suggestions that I'd never thought of, and I hope this isn't a bittersweet thread for anyone with flaring UAS and a crying wallet.

Last edited:
Strangely seeming to migrate to the Kalas this time, and this would be my first Kala, I've narrowed it down to these:

Kala solid sitka spruce top sunburst concert:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250249222377&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

The purrrty aqua tenor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330236724028&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

The gloss black concert with active pickup (not that I need a pickup for my uses):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230253268229&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

And at the top end of the budget, the solid cedar top koa concert:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230252301961&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

The reason I end it there is because of cost of shipping. It gets to a point where I may as well stretch to the Koa Pili Koko concert, but that would put me over 300 bucks once shipping to Finland is added. That last one is certainly close in price, and that might eleminate it from the running this time around.

Top Bottom