Got my new Lanikai 8 String

Paul December

Reaction score
I got my new Lanikai 8 String and really like the sound and the action ... but ...
... the white strips running down the edges of the neck (purfling?) has several deep cracks right at the edges of the metal frets.
I guess I could live with these tiny cracks, but am afraid they may soon chip-out which would be very visible and I probably could even feel when playing.
Opinions?

I'd look into exchanging it.

Got any pix?

Agreed!!! If it was advertised as brand new there should be zero cracks. You shouldn't have to "live with it."

Yea, you guys are right...
...unfortunately the listing says buyer covers shipping on returns/exchanges :mad:
What's the cheaper way to ship (mainland US)? USPS or UPS
The last time I shipped a uke (Chicago to Hawaii) USPS charged me $35 :(

I got my new Lanikai 8 String and really like the sound and the action ... but ...
... the white strips running down the edges of the neck (purfling?) has several deep cracks right at the edges of the metal frets.
I guess I could live with these tiny cracks, but am afraid they may soon chip-out which would be very visible and I probably could even feel when playing.
Opinions?

Binding - fretboard binding specifically. And no, cracked binding is not something you should ever see on a new uke. Returnsies.

As for cheap, not sure. $20-30 seems about right.

Yet another reason I avoid ebay.

Yea, you guys are right...
...unfortunately the listing says buyer covers shipping on returns/exchanges :mad:
What's the cheaper way to ship (mainland US)? USPS or UPS
The last time I shipped a uke (Chicago to Hawaii) USPS charged me $35 :(

$35 isn't bad to Hawaii. You are having bad luck with your last few purchases.

Last edited:
... You are having bad luck with your last few purchases.

Ain't that the truth!
The last uke I had to return actually had the same problem, but worse - the binding was cracked, and some had already chipped away. In that case, it wasn't as visible because the binding was dark-on-dark, and lower on the neck where I don't really play (yet :) ). I wonder if this is a common problem. I double checked my other ukes, and fortunately they didn't have it.

I assume you have called them to report the flaws and that you are sending it back? Also did you discuss with them why they didn't check it first before sending it since you have to pay for shipping? Now I hear that this isn't the first time? Or was that from a different source? This is another reason for me to shop local or have a local store do the shipping then you can check it before buying it. (The only place I would consider ordering from is MGM. Mike actually spends time setting up the neck and checking it over before shipping)

Paul - you should make a case for no return shipping charges and full refund. If the flaw was there when you got it and they didn't disclose, then they didn't properly represent the uke and you shouldn't be liable for the charges.

I assume you have called them to report the flaws and that you are sending it back? Also did you discuss with them why they didn't check it first before sending it since you have to pay for shipping? Now I hear that this isn't the first time? Or was that from a different source? This is another reason for me to shop local or have a local store do the shipping then you can check it before buying it. (The only place I would consider ordering from is MGM. Mike actually spends time setting up the neck and checking it over before shipping)

This one is actually from a different place than the other uke.
I did try to get one 1st from one of the "Usual Suspects" as I normally do, but they either didn't carry the brand or the mode.

Paul - you should make a case for no return shipping charges and full refund. If the flaw was there when you got it and they didn't disclose, then they didn't properly represent the uke and you shouldn't be liable for the charges.

Thanks, I think I will. Actually when I 1st read the listing I took "returns" as meaning you just didn't like the uke and wanted to return it ... but I guess it could mean defective as well.
Here is the listing - What do you think?
I've contacted the seller explaining the problems and am waiting to hear back.

Good news, the dealer just contacted me and they are covering the return shipping cost :)
...and looking into getting me the replacement (They are a Lanikai dealer).

good luck with the return. you will find another one dont worry. :D

Thanks, I think I will. Actually when I 1st read the listing I took "returns" as meaning you just didn't like the uke and wanted to return it ... but I guess it could mean defective as well.
Here is the listing - What do you think?
I've contacted the seller explaining the problems and am waiting to hear back.

It's advertised as brand new, in warranty, in stock - to me, that suggests they are selling these items as first-quality items, which should mean no flaws. The return policy should only apply to you if you change your mind or just plain don't like it. If you are returning something with a defect that shouldn't have been sold as first quality in the first place, you should get a full refund, including shipping, and they should be sending you a return shipping label. Alternately, if they have another in stock that they can confirm doesn't have this issue, they could offer that as a replacement; you still shouldn't be having to cover the cost to return the flawed one or to ship the replacement.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but my sense of proper business practice tells me that's what I would be asking for (refund or replacement)

Top Bottom