KoAloha returning to debossed, not laser etched, Pineapple Sundays

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
From KoAloha's website:
The original debossed pineapple quilt is making a come back. The creator, Alvin Okami aka Papa KoAloha, originally switched to the laser grid to speed up the production process. Believe it or not, debossing the Pineapple Sunday faces is a lot of work. However, Alvin feels that it is time to put in the extra effort and bring back the original pineapple quilt.

I’m actually a fan of the original pineapple quilt too. The price point may change, but it is definitely very exciting!

http://www.koaloha.com/2010/03/10/og-pineapple-sunday-is-back/
---

So it looks like they are returning to the old style debossing. I'm so happy to hear that, I really like it better than the laser etched (as my four PS purchases show). I wonder what the new price point will be though. :confused:

Thanks for the heads up Oh Wicked One. Darn now I will have to buy one of these.

I'm so happy to hear that, I really like it better than the laser etched (as my four PS purchases show). I wonder what the new price point will be though. :confused:

Does that mean you're going to succumb to PSAS (Pineapple Sunday Acquisition Syndrome, since we need a more specific diagnosis here) and bag a debossed PS? Methinks the answer is going to be "yes", whether you like it or not. :D

Perhaps this means the "laser etched" will be more collectable!!! I hope (not that I plan on selling my PS!)

I like the debossed look a lot, but I have my PS, and I can't look back.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Does that mean you're going to succumb to PSAS (Pineapple Sunday Acquisition Syndrome, since we need a more specific diagnosis here) and bag a debossed PS? Methinks the answer is going to be "yes", whether you like it or not. :D

Nope, I have one. My fourth (and final - at least that is the plan) Pineapple Sunday is the debossed style. But I do think it is cool that they are going back to it. I do wonder how much that will increase the price though.

Perhaps this means the "laser etched" will be more collectable!!! I hope (not that I plan on selling my PS!)

I like the debossed look a lot, but I have my PS, and I can't look back.
Cheers,
Skottoman

You know, just the other day I was comparing my debossed PS to a laser etched one at a store and the girl who I was with much preferred the "cleaner, more even" laser etch. So yep, those might be more collectible after all.

has anyone out there in uu-land played both enough to tell a difference in the sound quality?

the debossed basically compresses the wood fibers along the cross-hatch design & the laser etched actually cuts/removes small grooves of wood from the sound board.

what does each do--if anything--to alter the sound produced?

also, is the ps more of a tenor voice or soprano. i've seen that the neck is tenor length ("Hand Shaped Sapele Tenor Neck" from their website), but what about the sound that actually comes out? i've heard some describe it more as a soprano/concert sound. anyone?

mahalo!

:shaka:

has anyone out there in uu-land played both enough to tell a difference in the sound quality?also, is the ps more of a tenor voice or soprano. i've seen that the neck is tenor length ("Hand Shaped Sapele Tenor Neck" from their website), but what about the sound that actually comes out? i've heard some describe it more as a soprano/concert sound. anyone?

mahalo!

:shaka:

Well, I've had four Pineapple Sundays. Two of them were laser etched and two of them were debossed. I know Ronnie Aloha has owned both a laser and a debossed as well, so he can probably speak to this topic too. I never really noticed a difference in the sound quality in them as a result of the way the pattern was produced.

As for the sound, it definitely is not a typical tenor sound. It makes my high g tenor sound like a guitar in comparison. If I had to choose between a "tenor" or "soprano" voice, I would say more soprano. But truthfully, it has a sound all to its own. It almost sounds harp like, it is a unique, crystal voice. I like it a lot for some Tin Pan, Hawaiian, or jazzy stuff, but if you are looking for a general, all purpose ukulele you might not care for it.

I don't have the recording capability (or playing ability) to do justice to this beautiful instrument. For comparison purposes, here are some links.

Some examples of a debossed PS being played by GX9901 are here:

"Going to California" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOm3TP4RLQ
"Let's Dance" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa51yJiyZv8

Here is an example of Skottoman playing a laser etched PS playing "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtjMqh0SZqI

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe the laser etched ones would become more collectable now that they go back to the debossed process, but with the P.S., you just never know what will happen with it next. I mean, two years ago it was supposed to be retired. Now there are tons of variations of it. But it sounds like that they all pretty much sound the alike, regardless of the process used on the soundboard, so that's good and probably all that matters.

This is GREAT NEWS. When I go to Hawaii sometime later this year I know what's on top of my list.

lol. You better pray that they will ahve some available then. When I visited, there were no Pineapple sunday. Sceptre, or tenors available.

I'm curious if they would take a lazer etched one as a trade in on a debossed or whatever it is called one? I prefer that older etched look to the lazer one. I still love mine though (thanks WW via RA). I know my wife loves the older style but she loves the new one as well.

I know this is probably unpopular, but BOOO KOALOHA!!! :mad:

I emailed them and even called asking if they would do one custom with a debossed top. I was told "no." So I payed good money to get one with a debossed top & bowtie bridge. a few weeks later and now... anyone can have one? My collector's item is no longer collectible, therefore I payed too much?

It's hard to be happy for others right now. I'll get over it, but it will sting for a while.

I love the debossed top, especially with the bowtie bridge. So congrats to those like-minded individuals! Meanwhile I'll be at my pity party... :eek:

My collector's item is no longer collectible, therefore I payed too much?

It's hard to be happy for others right now. I'll get over it, but it will sting for a while.

I know how you feel. I went through four of those things searching for the "right" one, and you know how much I paid on that eBay auction. But if there is a consolation, it is this. While ours will no longer be collector's items, the new ones are going to cost more than what we paid for ours. And actually, I bet they will not make the old bridge, so you should still have a good collector's item my friend. It is those like me with the debossed top and straight bridge who may have gotten the short straw by losing any collectible value.

But I try to look at it this way, if I ever decide to buy another one, at least I know the debossed tops will be back. :)

Last edited:
I know this is probably unpopular, but BOOO KOALOHA!!! :mad:

I emailed them and even called asking if they would do one custom with a debossed top. I was told "no." So I payed good money to get one with a debossed top & bowtie bridge. a few weeks later and now... anyone can have one? My collector's item is no longer collectible, therefore I payed too much?

I love the debossed top, especially with the bowtie bridge. So congrats to those like-minded individuals! Meanwhile I'll be at my pity party... :eek:

It's not the first time Papa KoAloha eschewed the collectablilty of the Pineapple Sunday. I tihnk it was supposed to be discontinued/retired in the middle of 2007 or something, but due to popular demand he kept making them. I got mine before the supposed retirement and thought maybe it would become a collectible piece. Of course, lots more Pineapple Sundays were made after that, which is a good thing for everyone. I mean, had they actually retired it in 2007, I might be the only one on UU with a Pineapple Sunday. That wouldn't be much fun would it? Besides, unless you overpaid for yours to begin with, it sounds like the new debossed ones will only be more expensive.

Great news! I really dont like the look of those etched ones...

very cool. the price will probably go up but the quality will more than likely be spot on and plus it gives the uke a more custom feel, like each one was made specially. idk it sounds nice hahah. :D

Great news! I really dont like the look of those etched ones...

While I too think the debossed looks great, and kinda wish mine was debossed, I have a PS, and it's etched. So be it.

At least I have one, and I'm happy I do. Any PS in ANY form is still a PS, and a unique sounding, awesome looking, makes people smile ukulele!

Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom