Progress report on my first Ukulele build

acabooe

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

For those of you that don't know, I am training to become an Ukulele Luthier.

I am currently working on my first build, and just wanted to keep all you UUers updated on my progress.

Here is a shot of the front.

Hope you like it, more updates to come.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

DSC08713.jpg

Looks like it's coming along very nicely and wow that headstock is beautiful :love:

maybe next time make smaller circular indents for ur fret locaters where the inlay is suppose to go. And are you going to make turtle inlays too??????
good luck on your journey to become a great luthier.

When will it be done? Can't wait to hear and see the finished product. Good work!

This is going to be a great instrument when its done... to play with your own work would be awesome. It looks excellent but not 'perfect' (i.e. identical) like the cookie cutter models often end up looking like.. its going to have a bit of feel or personality when complete, which is something I really appreciate.

Good work!

Aloha everyone,

For those of you that don't know, I am training to become an Ukulele Luthier.

I am currently working on my first build, and just wanted to keep all you UUers updated on my progress.

Here is a shot of the front.

Hope you like it, more updates to come.

Aloha

DSC08713.jpg

Acabooe...CONGRATULATIONS looks beautiful and it's not even finish!!!

A Ukulele Luthier!!! that's why u are movin to hawaii right!!!

Cool!!!!!!!! Follow your dreams and never stop doing that!!! I wish u the best!!!

Sincerily...Ingrit

by the way....Im going to buy u at least one or two!!!!! :D

Thanks for the update Bob. Things are moving along quite nicely I see. I'm also in the process of designing my first slotted headstock so I'm quite interested in your project. Keep us posted.

nice! a work-in-progress journal-type of thing would be very helpful for people (like me) who are thinking of also building ukes. it's coming out beautiful though and even though you might wanna sell this, i would keep it for sentimental value. imagine down the line when you've become a master at this and become so successful, you can turn to this uke and say, "this was my first, this started it all." haha :p

Firstly, to all of you that said so many kind thing to me, I want to say
Mahalo Nui Loa from the bottom of my heart.
I feel so happy that my first Ukulele is received so well from all of you.

Now, on to the questions.

Seeso:
Today, I started shaping and gluing the headstock veeners. Soon it will be on to final shaping the neck.

Rubbertoe:
There are three main ways to become an Ukulele luthier.
1. Is to become an apprentice to an already established luthier. ( Hope to do this once I move to Hawai'i )
2. Is to take classes, such as from Hana Lima Ia School of Ukulele Making ( where I will be attending this fall)
3. Is to get an Ukulele Construction Manual ( like the one that Hana Lima sells that I am using ) and follow directions.
This Ukulele build is strictly from what I have leaned from the manual, and the members of the Hana Lima forum.
To learn more about Luthiery you could look at www.hanalima.com and also check out their forum, I have learned so much from then.

Ukulele Junkie:
This is my first build, so I am learning and pratcicing on all things including inlays.
Yes, I have 3 honu ( turtles ) inlayed into the soundboard.

davooac:
I don't have any vids of myself woodworking, b/c I'm trying to save space on my memory sticks.
I do however have over 2000 pics from my process so far, and I am considering making a blog after I am done to explain the journey of a beginer luthier.
I will decide on that later.

Ukestar:
I will be finished within 2 weeks:D

la ingrit:
Yes, that is why my wife, son, and I are moving to Hawai'i, so that I can learn, go to school, and then become an Ukulele Luthier. ( plus my wife was born there, and we both love it there)

menehunenyc:
See above what I said to Ukestar.

tripl3thr33
See above what I said to Davoo about maybe doing a blog.
As far as selling this Ukulele, I had given it some serious thought, and this is what I came up with.
You know how in small business sometimes you see the 1st dollar that they made framed and hung up?
Well, I am going to display this one in a similar way.
I plan to keep this one, and the one that I make at Hana Lima Ia ( see above to know what that is ), But I am going to start selling Ukuleles, as soon as I have enough knowledge and practice to provide my potential customers with a top quality product.
I plan to start selling probably early 2009, and I will keep everyone posted on this forum.

Thank you again for inspiring me to continue and do better.
More updates to come in time
Aloha

Hey - you didn't answer my question. you got me on ignore or something? :confused:

ooooo so that's what those dollars are for haha. those are some good goals you got there though. i'd like to be one of the first customers when you start selling to help you achieve your goals :) good luck!

Top Bottom