Big Fingers!

frank

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm new here.

i'm having trouble as a beginner playing the D chord (0-2-2-2). I can't seem to consistently and quickly get to that position with my humungo fingers and make it sound good. I know i can try playing all three strings with just my index finger, but that's also a little tough. Any advice? tips?

I'm sure you already checked, but this thread has some great tips for that dreaded D-chord. Not to spoil the surprise, but it's about steel piping and push-ups :music:

lol are those serious suggestions? i can't tell.

i'm actually doing pretty good with just my index and middle finger for all three strings

When I play D chord I almost always bar with my middle finger and mute the A string with the same finger. Usually people leave the A string open so it can ring out, but my finger just doesn't bend that way.

The weird part is when people use their thumb to bar the D chord. give that a try haha:D

I used to dread the D shape, and I would ... *Cheat*... at it for a while, but its a good idea to come back to the natural D shape every now and then to give it a go. The more you mess with it (over time of course...) the easier it will come. For now, go for one of the other ways, I especially like barreing the whole fret and muting the A with your picky, since its close to the natural shape.

is there a proper way to mute a string?

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'm going to come back here a lot. there are a lot of helpful people.

so i just learned a simple version of over the rainbow... one of the happiest moments i've had in months :) such a great song

is there a proper way to mute a string?

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'm going to come back here a lot. there are a lot of helpful people.

so i just learned a simple version of over the rainbow... one of the happiest moments i've had in months :) such a great song

Not really. As long as the string doesn't ring out the sound then you can mute it anyway you want!

yeah as David said.. Davoomac, just use your middle finger and mute the bottom string, thats my way.. my fingers are like.. from my nuckle... "wheres a ruler in my house!!" umm from the start of the z key on the keyboard to the start of the m believe it or not.. looks big but if u do it yourself it isnt that big..

but my advice - middle finger/mute a string.

*edit*
sorry... almost at the end of the n key, re-measured ^^

Hey Frank, I use my middle finger as well. As your fingers get in better shape you'll be able to barre cleanly every time. Takes some practice though. Happy strumming....

You have 3 notes and 4 strings so you are doubling one of the notes in a chord. An easy D chord to hold is 2225. You can barre the 2nd fret with your index or index and middle for support and play the D note 5th fret A string with your pinky (2225).

You have 3 notes in a D chord D,F# and A. With the regular shape you play A, D, F#and A (2220). With the other you have 2 D's.;)

You have 3 notes and 4 strings so you are doubling one of the notes in a chord. An easy D chord to hold is 2225. You can barre the 2nd fret with your index or index and middle for support and play the D note 5th fret A string with your pinky (2225).

You have 3 notes in a D chord D,F# and A. With the regular shape you play A, D, F#and A (2220). With the other you have 2 D's.;)

In a lot of cases I prefer playing D this way, just because I think it sounds more "interesting" since it includes two D notes an octave apart.

But that said you should definitely learn the 2220 fingering as well, because that's a really useful moveable chord shape and it'll help you in the long run.

I'm sure you already checked, but this thread has some great tips for that dreaded D-chord. Not to spoil the surprise, but it's about steel piping and push-ups :music:

As pointed out, I had various issues with this chord. Just practice alot, and walk around with a handy peice of steel piping :eek: haha.

Just don't give up and keep rocking! :nana:

Ok the push ups are going well, I am exercising my thumbs, stretching my ring finger and the local blacksmith has been very helpful with just the right angle of steel and D is beginning to form for me...

...but I have a problem with the E chord.

Seen the pictures of Chords in 'Nursery Rhymes for little Ukulele players' and I'm getting nowhere. I was starting to get lost in frustation and shame until I saw this thread (thankyou!)

I am guessing the answer is 'practice' but if anyone has a magic wand out there I'd love to hear the solution.

How can I make the E easy?

Jack33

But that said you should definitely learn the 2220 fingering as well, because that's a really useful moveable chord shape and it'll help you in the long run.

Yeppers. Learning to partial barre it with the ring finger is the way to go.

(Now where's my bent pipe? I need some more practice.)

Well, I taught myself ukulele for a couple of months before finding any helpful sights. I started out with a concert size, and I assumed you play a D by placing your ring finger over the second frets on G C and E. This is also why I'm a little afraid of posting videos. Will people judge?

Now that I've got a tenor and a baritone I could do the chord correctly but it's just how I play it now. I'm sure I do a lot of chords wrong :p

Well, I taught myself ukulele for a couple of months before finding any helpful sights. I started out with a concert size, and I assumed you play a D by placing your ring finger over the second frets on G C and E. This is also why I'm a little afraid of posting videos. Will people judge?

Now that I've got a tenor and a baritone I could do the chord correctly but it's just how I play it now. I'm sure I do a lot of chords wrong :p

As long as the notes are right, there's no wrong way to play a chord. Do what works for you.

Top Bottom