My first scratch build

bluesuke

Reaction score
DSCF2206.jpg
I thought I would post a few pics of my first scratch build in progress . It is black walnut back and sides cedar top and mahogany neck
DSCF2202.jpg
DSCF2204-1.jpg

Id like to take the credit on the good looking build but I cant. It not me Matt. Its bluesuke-Steve.

Excellent Bluesuke. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Was just reading about Spanish Style neck to body connections so very timely for me.
Am wondering about your choice for a sound hole patch verses a couple of thin braces on either side of the sound hole or no braces there at all.
Looks like it would add strength to that area of the soundboard but does it reduce its ability to resonate?
Just learning so wanted to understand.

I almost didn't put it in.I'm fallowing plans from hanalim and its on the plans. the stew mac tenor I built did not use a patch and I have noticed a lot of builds don't use them I think next build I will probably not use one. hopefully the sound will not suffer. Like you I'm still learning and probably will always be learning

Finished My first scratch build

Thought I would share some finished pics of my walnut and cedar tenor
DSCF2292.jpg
DSCF2293.jpg
DSCF2295.jpg
It turned out pretty well except the upper left bout moved a little when I glued it so it is a little out of shape . But I figured I would see all the way threw. Because it would not affect the sound. It sounds Great a nice warm sound . Thanks for looking

Perry

What finish did you use?

Nice job bluesuke. Congratulations. I bet that first tune up and first strum was a special moment.
Couple of questions;
Did you taper the sides at both ends per the drawing? How did that work for you?
Would you do a spanish heel again? Do you think it was worth the effort?
Again, congratulations on your fine accomplishment.
Fred

Nice job bluesuke. Congratulations. I bet that first tune up and first strum was a special moment.
Couple of questions;
Did you taper the sides at both ends per the drawing? How did that work for you?
Would you do a spanish heel again? Do you think it was worth the effort?
Again, congratulations on your fine accomplishment.
Fred

Yes it worked fairly well. And yes on the spanish heel it made for a great joint and easy to get the neck in a perfect line. the only problem I had was the upper bout on the left side moved in the jig when I was gluing the sides to the sound board . That wont happen again a made some changes to the jig. I'm already planning my next it will be myrtle wood. For the most part I fallowed Hanalimas manuel except for setting the action there I did it my way

Top Bottom