Strumming and Picking with just your Thumb

molinee

Reaction score
Are there very many (if any) really experienced players who use just their thumb to strum and pick? I am assuming that there are many players who do use just their thumb and index finger. Just curious. :)

The quick answer is there are many players who do many things with their fingers, be it just the thumb, just the pointer finger, or all their fingers going nuts exploring all possibilities. Don't feel bad if you're only using your thumb, but at the same time try to involve the rest of your digits. They get lonely with nothing to do! :nana:

Not to highjack your thread, but in keeping with the question about the use of the thumb....

Is it cheating to fret the strings using your thumb? I've seen it done, and to me it just looks wrong. Whatever works for you, I guess, but I don't think I'd ever do it....

Not to highjack your thread, but in keeping with the question about the use of the thumb....

Is it cheating to fret the strings using your thumb? I've seen it done, and to me it just looks wrong. Whatever works for you, I guess, but I don't think I'd ever do it....

:D I know what you mean... it just looks bad.
While it might be easier to do, I think it slows down changes between chords.

Watch the YouTube videos of Ohta San (senior) and Bill Tapia. Both play their ukuleles using their thumbs!

Hendrix used his thumb to fret the 6th string on his guitar sometimes, especially on D chords. If it's good enough for Jimi, I figure it's good enough for the rest of us. If he had played the ukulele, the mind boggles at what we would now consider "the rules".

Thumbs ?, How about folks who play by ear ?
I have always wondered if they strum or chord with their ears.

Hendrix used his thumb to fret the 6th string on his guitar sometimes, especially on D chords. If it's good enough for Jimi, I figure it's good enough for the rest of us. If he had played the ukulele, the mind boggles at what we would now consider "the rules".
Jimi had HUGE hands. He would barre all the way across the strings with his thumb while fingering above it. Instant capo! Of course he could also play right handed and left, so... And Django Reinhardt played his solos with two fingers after losing the use of his ring & little fingers in a fire at the age of 18. You do what you have to do when the spirit is calling.

Yeh, Jimi used to fret entire bass note runs with his thumb, and more.

There are rules, but they are only of value if they help you get the results you seek. Music teachers show the "correct" ways to do stuff. Those ways consist of consensual stuff that has worked well for many people. If you find a way that works better for you then go for it.

[...]And Django Reinhardt played his solos with two fingers after losing the use of his ring & little fingers in a fire at the age of 18. You do what you have to do when the spirit is calling.
Sorry to go off topic, but DJANGO! Oh man. That is where rules fall apart.

Django and Jimi were both masters of the experimental. They were also great bluffers and exponents of the old jazz adage that if you make a mistake you should repeat it so people think the first time was deliberate! LOL.

Check Django's version of "La Mer". He does a slide up that misses its target note. In the blink of an eye he repeats the slide and the mistake becomes a feature.

Jimi and Django. Whatever your instrument, there are no better teachers.

Top Bottom