clawhammer UKUlele rocks try it

Swampy Steve

Reaction score
yeah , Im still in love with the banjo right now,
But I dont think its just the banjo,,, its the clawhammer style. a Ive picked & strummed for 29 yrs , and am always looking for a new thrill.
I tried claw ,, last night on uke & it works pretty good. No , Im no Aaron Keim,, but I can play it.

It was easier to learn on banjo,,, I guess due to the string tension & such. But it is doable by a mere mortal.

love me or hate me,,yeah Im a bit coarse,,, due yourself a favor & try clawhammer.. It is a fun dynamic way of playing,
Steve

learned clawhammer on banjo...I can do it, although somewhat sloppier on the banjo for some reason. I love the uke and clawhammer on it rules. I dont have any clawhammer uke song tabs though so i dont think I'll ever get around to picking out melody notes along with rhythm.

I love the happy clawhammer sound....but I have given up trying to play it the "right" way. I use my thumb and index finger. I don't get that cool clawhammer "thump," but it is close. Wildwood Flower, Old Greasy Coat, and Whiskey 'fore Breakfast are the only songs I can play (so far).

I hear you guys. I like clawhammer so much I bought a banjolele. And then a banjo... :eek:

So now I frail away the hours (playing along with Patrick) on three instruments but still can't play any songs because I don't know any. I think I'm stuck. :-(

I love the happy clawhammer sound....but I have given up trying to play it the "right" way. I use my thumb and index finger. I don't get that cool clawhammer "thump," but it is close. Wildwood Flower, Old Greasy Coat, and Whiskey 'fore Breakfast are the only songs I can play (so far).

Aunt Betty ,, could you help me any with how to play Greasy Coat?
Steve

I hear you guys. I like clawhammer so much I bought a banjolele. And then a banjo... :eek:

So now I frail away the hours (playing along with Patrick) on three instruments but still can't play any songs because I don't know any. I think I'm stuck. :-(

I dont know if you know Tom Dooley,, but if you do ,, its a good one to start clawhammer on. I started on it,,, then realized Handsome Molly was similiar , and I like Handsome Molly better. If you can find any Doc Watson playing banjo it will get you hooked. He frails, and plays 2 finger style. Ive been learning , Groundhog 2 finger , along with the claw/frail.
Last night by accident , I got into playing some minor sounding stuff,,, and it was fun, kinda ominious with the drone strings

Steve

I aint given up on uke,, just banjo is at the top of my list right now in my ADD musical journey

I dont know if you know Tom Dooley,, but if you do ,, its a good one to start clawhammer on. I started on it

Can you recall where you found it? There seems to be 3 million banjo tunings with a version of every song for every one of them except the plain tuning... Or the tab is too complicated for this beginner Or there's no tab just chords. Or maybe I'm just supposed to frail along to the chords but then the song isn't recognisable without the melody (this confusion applies to uke too) . Yep, Stuck. And muddled. (Great sound though!) :confused:

what I did , is hunt & peck , like my typing. I hear the note in my head & then find it on neck, then next note etc. find all your melody notes & then add in the bum ditty,,
yeah the different tunings is way over my head. Im sticjing to plain old G for a while
I can tell you it will staRT ON
4TH OPEN TWICE
THEN 4TH STRING 2ND FRET,,, THEN 3RD OPEN ,,

THEN OPEN 4THTWICE 4TH 2ND FRET ,, THEN 3RD OPEN ,, THEN 3RD@ 2ND FRET,,, VERY BASICX SKELETON, W/ 0 BUM DITTY
Steve

Last edited:
I really need to practice this more. I tried a few times and failed to nail it properly.

My first post here - I just have to say one thing: I love to play clawhammer style! When I started playing ukulele, I didn´t even know the word... and after 3 years 90% of my practising time is clawhammer ukulele. I´m not that good, but I do my best... so I published a few vids on youtube. If anyone wants the tabs, I´ll send them!

www.youtube.com/greggster73

There are clawhammer ukulele tunes I really like, but as a banjo player, I absolutely desSPIZE clawhammer. Before I played banjo, I was around it a lot and kinda liked it, but now...
And I won't even say what it looks like.:uhoh:

Top Bottom