Beginner Guitar Book Help

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey there

My hubby just got his new guitar and I was looking for some books I could send to help him learn how to play. Any suggestions? The choices online are quite overwhelming.

The choices online are quite overwhelming.
You're right! I'm presuming he got a steel-string acoustic? Can't really help you there. Now, if he was taking up classical...

Anyway, I'd suggest one of those skinny chord books designed to fit under the neck in the guitar case.

You could also print out tabs to all the songs you want him to learn to play for you, make up an index page with comments on why you chose these songs, design a cover, and take the whole thing to Kinkos and have them do a comb binding with a cardstock back and a clear plastic front cover.

Thanks!

He got a acoustic and he got new strings. Trying to remember the name... blue steel lights.

When I was getting started it was easier for me to learn chords by playing familiar tunes. After struggling with the dry Mel Bay stuff, I grabbed a copy of this book -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380213713083 -- and it really helped me. If the Beatles aren't his cup of tea, perhaps you could find a songbook with chord charts from one of his favorites.

I have no idea what kind of music he wants to play, that's the thing.

I have been using Guitar Method Book 1 Beginner by Gary Turner and Brenton White. Have had lessons once a week and my teacher recommended this book. Starts really basic which suited me but still enables you to play a recognizable tune from the beginning. Has a CD which is handy but I haven't used much.
My teacher also added more strumming techniques that add to the chords which has been great.
All that said I am much better on the uke which I began at the same time.I think because it's smaller and much easier to practice with and the learning curve is much steeper. Not giving up though and I want an electric guitarto blast some riffs.Got an Eleuke pineapple on it's way as well to wake the neighbours.
Cheer's
Ross

Im not a fan of proper instruction books for beginners. They all seem to suffer from the same problem after the first few pages (how to hold, how to fret, how to use a pick) - boring songs or songs the player has never heard.
I've seen the best success when a beginner learns songs they already know well. Songs they like to sing in the car or the shower. You don't need a "real" instruction book for that.

So here is what I would recommend:

1) A basic chord chart - like one of the pocket books, or even a pamphlet style. The internet works too... you could just print the basic "first position" chords out.
2) One of those "songs of the 60's... " books or 70's or 80's you get the idea. As long as its compilation of songs in the genre he likes, and from an era he knows, even if it's just one band he loves - it'll work. Whatever he likes to listen to, so he'll know how the songs are supposed to sound. If it has the chord shapes at the top - it's better than any beginner book out there because he'll like to play the song...

Eventually he'll be looking up songs on his own online anyway, but giving him some cool songs to start and the basic chord shapes is a good way to keep interest and get some basics down.

The "First Stage" Guitar Book is for the anxious beginner who desires a direct no frills method to learning how to play guitar without pages and pages of reading before you start putting your fingers on the strings and begin strumming some music right away; it is also a great reference guitar book for those who already play some. Recently revised and updated with more easy to understand guitar learning information.

So I asked him what style of book he wanted and he said "I already have tabs I just want a capo." Well, screw you then I won't buy you a present! I can't see why he needs a capo when just learning bu whatever, lol.

I'm late to the party so obviously a method book is no longer needed. Few method books will have 'good' songs in them because the authors are unwilling to pay royalty fees for modern arrangements. Consequently, there are a lot of methods with uninspiring non-royalty songs from bygone eras (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Au Claire de La Lune, Greensleeves, She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain :p).

Classical guitarists are lucky because much of their finest repertoire was composed by long-dead dudes who have no copyright claims. A classical method book can easily have lots of fine works that are public domain.

In any case, if he still needs a capo, I'd get him the Planet Waves NS. It's small, simple, unobtrusive, inexpensive at $15, and won't put the strings out of tune unless you willfully tighten it beyond what's needed.

305501.jpg

If he wants to learn how to read music than get Mel Bay guitar method grade one. If he wants to learn how to play different songs than your local music store may hold a variety of different options. You can also find songs online.

Hi There. I'm a long time member of Jamplay (3.5 years now) . I can tell you that the lessons there are great and the community is very friendly and helpful. One of the really cool things is the live video chats with some of the instructors (two way cam if you want) where you can ask questions about technique, get help with things you are struggling over, and just enjoy a "live" lesson.

If you or anyone are interested, I have a code that will give you 7 days free membership so you can try it out. Just PM me here and I'll give it to anyone who wants it along with instructions on how to redeem the code.

As for Guitar books. I've heard that "Guitar Grimoire" is very good for those who want more than a cursory understanding of guitar music. I've not bought it yet (I bought a Uke instead) but it's on my list. ;)

Sylvia

As a long time guitar player and I didn't want to Learn the basics at first I just wanted to Learn cool songs which I did with an awesome teacher. I started out learning tab to cool songs and it got easier as time went on. After that I learned the basics and well here I am. I found the songbooks with just strumming chords really helpful learning the chords and chords typically used in songs and their structure. I think you should get both strumming cool 60s 70s everybody knows those songs. I think he needs some tab books to that show you note for note how to play it of course of music he likes. A scale book may also be helpful. Want any advice on which ones to get just PM me.
See ya. Mark
PS. A really good book that isn't that hard to play would be the Eagles he should know those songs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom