classical guitar?

nikolo727

Reaction score
ive been playing the ukulele for about 3 years now and i will never put it down.

I recently got an irish tin whistle and i love that too.

but i am like a fat kid at a cupcake store.....

I WANT MORE!

so im thinking about getting a classical guitar.

they seem SWEET!

does anyone here play one?

what is a nice classical guitar that I can get for about 300 dollars?

what kind of strings should I use?

the list of questions goes on and on but first i need to find out if anyone plays here!

so post up peeepz!

:nana:

I learned guitar on a classical. It's a nicer guitar to start on because the strings are nylon, so they don't hurt you as much as steel string. The neck on a classical is wider, so also keep that in mind. It's a bit strange when you switch to a steel string acoustic to have your fingers so much closer together.

As for strings, I never saw much of a difference in brands. I'm sure someone else could tell you which brand is best tho. I use D'Addario strings.

I don't know what are good classical brands. I used my dads, I have no idea what brand it is. Sorry, I don't think I was very helpful. lol

my cousin he's not really a guitar player but he has one, ive toyed with it a couple of times, its pretty old n beat up but still make good sound its a yamaha cg something, it looks the same thing that aldrine uses in his cmj n ducky adores me

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...on-String-AcousticElectric-Guitar-?sku=519992

i bought this a few months ago. it was so badass, my brother got one too. but we didnt see the need for two of them. so we sold one.

my brother and i were talking one day about how badass it would be to have a thin bodied classical guitar with a narrow fretboard, cutaway, and electronics. then we walked into guitar center.

this guitar has a thin body, so its not as loud as some of the fatter ones. but it does have a narrow fretboard. not much wider than a steel guitar. so you wont be stretching your fingers too much. put some new d'addario pro artes on this guy and its NICE. the electronics are sooooo cool too. the onboard tuner is the best onboard tuner ive ever used. perfectly calibrated to match my clip-on IMT500 tuner. it uses a fishman undersaddle transdeucer with the ibanez SST pickup system (whatever that means). sounds awesome plugged in. and you have the option of using a regular 1/4" phone plug, or an XLR cable (mic cable) for balanced performance. we have the orange one because thats all they carried at the local GC. but i would rather have that black one!

Sorry, I don't think I was very helpful. lol

lol your fine, dont worry about it. I need all the info i can get so thanks!

;)

Once again Nukedoc: thanks.

I will definetly look into that.

thank you all.

if i have any more questions(which will happen) i know you guys will be there.

peace.

:nana:

my cousin he's not really a guitar player but he has one, ive toyed with it a couple of times, its pretty old n beat up but still make good sound its a yamaha cg something, it looks the same thing that aldrine uses in his cmj n ducky adores me

yep, aldrines guitar was a yamaha. from what he told me it was a cheapy one but it played loud! now he sports a takamine .

IMG_0564_1.JPG

I recommend the Yamaha CG171SF. It's a flamenco guitar but the deeper body (i.e. deeper than a traditional flamenco guitar) gives it the resonance to perform as a classical guitar as well. It's lower action makes it easier to play. Probably the best value at about $300. The European spruce top is the same one used on the CG171S ($400) and the CG201S ($500).

I have a full review here and an assessment of the competition. You should be able to view it as long as Blogspot isn't having server problems.

If you want the open sound of a cedar top, I recommend the La Patrie Etude which sells at about $300 as well.

If you want brightness, you should use Savarez Alliance 540R (normal tension) or 540J (hard tension). These are carbon strings like Worth clear ukulele strings. If you prefer nylon strings, use La Bella 820B (black) or 820R (red) or Hannabach.

Good luck and let us know what you eventually get!

Last edited:
I second Chiodad's pick:

I own that model and my guitar teacher was amazed when he found out how much it cost. He said it was the best sounding he had heard in that price range.

I just love it- I played what felt like hundreds- but really was more like 40 guitar models under 500 dollars before choosing the Yamaha- it is a great instrument.

Might as well list all the alternatives ...

539678.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, one other guitar to consider in the "about $300" range is the LaPatrie Etude. It can be found between $299 and $325. It's made in Canada and is a solid cedar-top with laminated cherry back and sides. It's finish is semi-gloss.

I own the Etude's bigger brother, the LaPatrie Presentation which has laminated Indian rosewood back and sides. I like the LaPatrie line and I do know that these are also recommended by music teachers. They have a strong bassy tone but do not overpower the trebles.

531248jpg.jpg

I had an opportunity to evaluate the new version of the Cordoba C5 ($255 without gig bag at Guitar Center brick and mortar stores). This is a solid cedar-top with laminated mahogany back and sides. Beginning in 2007, Cordoba hired a new factory in China to manufacture the C5. Prior to 2007, the C5 was made in Portugal.

The Chinese-made version is, IMHO, superior and more consistent in quality than the Portugese-made version. The internal soundboard bracing (seen only with a mirror and a flashlight) is more sophisticated than anything I have seen to date in a sub-$600 guitar. The neck is connected to the body with a traditional Spanish heel! Overall, the craftsmanship is much improved but its attention to fine detailing (purfling, fit of the saddle on the bridge, selection of attractive woods) still falls just a bit short of Yamaha. This guitar is worth your consideration but do compare it to the others before making a final decision.

497510jpg.jpg

I long ago had tried out the Manuel Rodriguez y Hijos Caballero C1. It has a dark Madrid sound. Some people like it and some don't. I don't but I can understand its appeal. There are some pieces that work particularly well for a guitar like this. For me, the dark tone is an acquired taste.

This guitar does have the same projection power as the Etude, IMHO. The craftsmanship is good but below that of Yamaha. I played a couple at Guitar Center this weekend and I stand by my assessment. You should check it out. You might like its tone.

So for about $300, my shortlist recommendations (in order of preference) are:
  • The Yamaha CG171SF - $300 to $350
  • The LaPatrie Etude - $300 to $325
  • The Cordoba C5 - $255 (without gig bag) to $300 (with gig bag)
  • The Rodriguez C1 - $350 (if you like the dark tone)

Last edited:
Top Bottom