Research Project

d'uke

Reaction score
Hello UU,
im currently working on a research project and my topic of choice is the history of the 'Ukulele and the history of Hawaiian music in general, also i'll be looking at the building process of the 'ukulele and explaining a alot about tonal woods and things of that nature. Since i have the great UU as a place where so many 'Ukulele enthusiasts reside, i was wondering if there are some history buffs that know a lot about my topic and would be willing to share some of what they know in the form of an online interview. I'm not in a rush to gather this information at the time so you could do this at your leisure!

Mahalo,

Davis :shaka:

It's easy to relate 'ukulele music to Hawaiian music. However, the 'ukulele was introduced in the late 1800's (1880's) I believe.

Before that it was chants and percussion, nose flutes, split bamboo, shells, etc.

It's too easy to simply think of Hawaiian music as beginning and ending with the 'ukulele.

Just a heads up.

Mahalo and Aloha,

I wasnt necessarily relating the two, im treating them as two separate topics and planning on entwining the two when the 'Ukulele was introduced and go on to explore how it evolved and influenced Hawaiian music.
thanks for the heads up though Uncle Rod, suggestions like this are good too anything to help me better my project will be appreciated as well.

Well, here's me doing my pulelehua broken record thing, but...............

http://www.nalu-music.com/

John King was one of the most active researchers into ukulele history. Read everything there is here (it takes a while, but is doable in a sitting or two), and you will know more than you did, and also have a few directions to pursue. Be advised, John King was as interested in pre-ukulele ukulele history, and post-exportation 1915 San Francisco history, as he was in the Hawaiian bits. And he approaches the whole thing as a classical guitarist/ukulelist. But it's really a treasure trove.

Good luck!

There's also a history of the ukulele book by Jim Beloff. I just checked it out of the library.

Top Bottom