Where are the fancy ukes?

ukefett

Reaction score
Just curious, why are most ukuleles so plain looking? Where are the ones that look more like this.. http://www.amazon.com/Kala-Archtop-Tenor-Ukulele-EQ/dp/B0017Z53I6 or like Aldrines here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWxcDFUyMs . I just got a Mainland and I love the roping on the side and read a lot of comments from owners saying the same so how come there aren't more rockabilly/rock and roll looking or even decorated ones?

just curious, the few decorated one I've seen look so cool but they are so rare!

I love that KOI more bettah ukulele. Already sold. Oh well, I couldn't afford it anyway.

Sure looks fantastic!

Hey Ukefett, that Kala archtop is going to be living at my house starting tomorrow. I found one in stock just a half hour north of me so I heading up to get it. I agree with you. Most ukes look so plain I don't understand the attention they get even if they sound great...if they look like a toy I don't want it. Check out Road Toad ukes. They are spectacular but be prepared to lay out a lot of bread for the custom built ones. The Kala arctop is a production model so it's within my grasp.

Wow! Thanks, thats some great stuff, thanks everyone. I really love the wit in alot of those custom ones. Its really amazing the range of designs from the great rock one to the Dairy queen to the bamboo growing through and they all fit great with it. Plus it can more than hold its weight with a mustache

Chuck, Mike and Dave's ukes make me wish I was related to them so I'd be able to get excellent Christmas gifts. :p

Does my collection count as "fancy"
ukecollection.jpg

The fanciest uke I've seen is this a K-brand one (can't remember which) that was on sale by MGM a while back.
It was Koa (i think) and shaped all pointy like a Christmas tree, and had a pineapply head.

Personally, I like plain ukuleles. A plain well-made, good-sounding, nicely-playing mahogany ukulele is as good as it gets for me. YMMV.

^couldn't agree more. . . although I won't rule out koa.

I'm also not into adding bling to a 'ukulele beyond what is practical and that doesn't improve sound quality. My custom S&J Milo 'ukulele could have had whatever inlays, purflings, bindings, I wanted but I have simple tastes so didn't add any of that. This 'ukulele sounds and plays great, and that's the main thing. My fanciest 'ukuleles are probably my Mainland, and my Mele, but I bought these as is and they are subdued though they do admittedly look nice. Does a pretty lady need to wear make up or jewelry to look that way? No.
My 2 fanciest 'ukuleles cost $300 or less.

Mainland Soprano Red Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple
P1010226.jpg

Mele Koa Concert Pineapple
P1010165.jpg

Does a pretty lady need to wear make up or jewelry to look that way? No.

well, sometimes a girl just likes to feel pretty. http://www.tutiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/audrey-hepburn-cigarette-holder-1.jpg =)

I don't mean anything super fancy or obnoxious bling, I just really like a little variety. I was really hoping to see a Uke with some rockabilly flair. Some of the ones in this thread are really beautiful though.

I like your Mainland by the way, I just got one myself (Its my first real Uke!) and I love it! They look and sound so purty.

Top Bottom