Barre chords..

IAmTheWalrus

Reaction score
I've been playing them on the guitar for years but now when I'm trying on the ukulele I'm having problems. The flesh of my finger right under my knuckles always ends up muting the A or the C. Since the neck is not very wide, do you guys hang out your index finger off the fretboard (coming towards you)? How much?

I just checked... My index finger "hangs" over the top only about half-a-fingernail's worth. Not much at all.

But hey, that's just me. YMMV.

JJ

You'll just have to play around and adjust your position to suit the particulars of your instrument and your hand. Practice going from open chords or scale passages to barre chords and try to fret cleanly. Pay close attention to the sound you get going into the barre. Practice it s-l-o-w-l-y at first and work up to desired tempo. You'll get it, just takes some time.

It depends on the chord for me. On B shaped barrs I have quite a bit hanging off the fretboard, probably to the first knuckle or so. On F# shaped, I can't lean that far out and still hit the E string, and sometimes have the problem you talked about on the C.

Top Bottom