Uke building

kingJurzy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to build a uke from wood. I have an interest in woodworking and ukes and i want to see if i can build one,but i will need l little help of course. What type of wood should I start with and how do I space the frets? I can buy some of the parts like the bridge and the tuners but I am probably going to make most of it. And one question that allways baffeled me is how do you space the frets???? I have no idea how you do that, I always used to think that they had a programmed robot that always does that!!

P.S. Any suggestions would be nice.

,king

Hey King,

Lots of good info here in this board. You might want to start by looking at Pete Howlett's wonderful instuctional videos on Youtube, and browse the instructions for the uke kits (and catalog) on stewmac.com.

Read and view alot before you start. That my 2 cents.

I'd start by reading the construction manual in the Stew Mac uke kits and their guitar kits. You can download it for free and they're really good primers. I have the hana lima book but its just ok.....not alot of techniques or insights. If you really want to read a book then get the Guitar making book by Cumpiano. Its very thorough and translates to uke well.
Stew mac also has a fret calculator or you can get a program that will print the scale at the MIMF forum. I prefer to buy pre-slotted fretboards when I can though

Top Bottom