Am I being a jerk?

I'd answer, but I usually don't reply to every post I see. No wait... Did I?... I did, didn't I?

Actually, no I don't think it's bad etiquette. I might reply to some in a batch saying something like "Thanks guys..." if I get a lot of similar messages.

Its a good question. I have often wondered that myself. I have also used the batch reply that Dave mentioned. I don't get that many hits on my YT page, but I often marvel that some people that get thousands still reply to each and every one. I have even refrained from commenting on some of those, in order to save the poster the trouble of replying. On those, I just rate it.

Depends on how I feel that day. If someone is insulted you didn't say thank you then I think they need to get a life. I would hope people don't have expectations about stuff like this, it's just silly. I like to think that if I leave a comment, they are thankful for it.

No, it's not poor etiquette. It's the norm.

People who reply to every comment are the ones who are abnormal! It's amazing, I don't understand how they do it. Kudos to you all who reply to every single comment. I tried it for awhile, I got burnt out pretty quick.

I always appreciate a reply for my comments but I don't expect it especially not from those that have multiple subscribers. Unexpected gifts are the best. There are few that reply regularly even though they have literally hundreds of subscribers and these I view as very special people.

As far as replying to comments, that is kinda of tricky. If they ask a question, or say something that is thoughtful then I'll reply, but I don't reply to every "awesome!", "nice", or "you suck!" From the other side, I sometimes I leave short one or 2 word comments, just to show I was there and liked the video, and don't expect a response from those types of comments. But if I leave a comment that I put more thought into, then I think a response is nice. So, I guess it depends on the comment.

Not being someone who has any youtube videos for anyone to comment on, I can't really give a definite answer, but I do comment on a lot of youtube videos (mostly to say great job on a cover, or to offer some constructive criticism-I don't flame comment people with things like "FIRST!" or "U SUK N008!" that's just rude and childish, nor do I comment to feed the troll) and I don't get offended if I don't get a reply thanking me for my comment. Mostly, I don't really expect people to reply. Even when I ask a question, I usually only half expect a reply. I think it's just generally accepted that most people don't reply to most comments. And for good reason-some videos get A TON of comments, and it would be hard to reply to all of them. So, no, I don't think it's bad etiquette. I think it's normal not to reply to every single comment.

It's not rude. I reply to most comments left on my vids because I feel if someone takes time to listen to my awful singing and playing AND still leaves a comment, it's the least I could do.

No, it's not poor etiquette. It's the norm.

People who reply to every comment are the ones who are abnormal! It's amazing, I don't understand how they do it. Kudos to you all who reply to every single comment. I tried it for awhile, I got burnt out pretty quick.

Not everyone has 18 miliion subscribers like you.

I reply to comments so the commenter feels obligated to subscribe to me and watch the next video. I think I might be the jerk.

It's not rude. I reply to most comments left on my vids because I feel if someone takes time to listen to my awful singing and playing AND still leaves a comment, it's the least I could do.

I had to chuckle at this. :)

I was just talking with Seeso via messages about YT comments. I use to try and respond to everyone who commented, but now I just keep it to the people I know. It's a lot safer that way.

"It's not rude. I reply to most comments left on my vids because I feel if someone takes time to listen to my awful singing and playing AND still leaves a comment, it's the least I could do." Deach

Me too lol- and I know a few others that have hundreds of subs who do the same. It is a matter of personal choice I guess, I am not offended if I dont get a reply, but I just like to say thanks for reasons you just said :)
And I probably have too much time on my hands !!

no, you're good, bro.
i usually only respond to the direct questions.
to most compliments, i do what other people do, and drop in a "Thanks" after awhile

i respond to every comment i get, Im english, its what we do....

if someone has taken the time to watch and comment on my dumb stuff then the least i can do is make time to reply.
i can do all my comment replies in the time it takes to read through them.

i might be abnormal but im politely abnormal!

i notice that some people will not respond to certain people but always respond to others. me being one of the ones who doesnt get responded to.

Last edited:

that what I was about to say!^^

actually, though I do have 450+ subscribers, I don't get more than 30 (that's more or less maximum) comments on a vid. so there's not much time involved saying thanks. not that I'm doing that on every comment, but on the majority.

but do as you want. there is no right or wrong on that matter!

Last edited:
Top Bottom