Uke construction books

kingJurzy

Reaction score
Does any one have any construction books for a ukulele that I can borrow?

I have a Ukulele design and construction book I will sell ya if you live in the usa.
Dan

Dan, I do live in the USA. I'm in california
But right now I will have to get to know you better just in case. Ive had this once before, I was on a fourm then a guy sent me something then he used my adress to send stuff to him and bill my house.

kingjurzy, I Bought the book read it, got what I wanted from it and am willing to pass it on. I did this a month ago with the Hana Lama book.
If you want it we can do pay pal and you wont get ripped off. Im in Ca too and sold the last book to a guy on this forum.
Its easy and safe with pay pal.

Let me know . I will sell it to you in Ca. for 20.00 and I will pay shipping. I wont make any money on this just trying to help other builders on the forum like they have helped me.
Dan

Not sure what anarchy has broken out in the US but kingJurzy you need to lighten up. You asked for a book and were offered one, I can't see any security threat in that. Names and addresses are pretty much public record here, open any phone book and you can get as many as you want. Grab the book, make a uke and strum along.

LeftyDan, what is the title of the Uke design/construction book you have?
If Kingjurzy doesn't take it, I may be interested.

I've just been asked if I'd make a video of building a uke body. What do you think I should do? AsK for the $500 it would take in time and preparation to do this? Honestly - I often wonder how we have got to this point of laziness where people almost expect you to do it simply because they have asked. You can always tell when I am really busy - I don't post video prefering to pay the bills... And how does this relate to the above - there is a ton of information out there for free. Why not spend an hour or two looking for it. You'd be surprised what happens. Yesterday I stumbled across the Dolceola on YouTube and then got lost for an hour watching all the vids. And what did I learn? Andy Cohen isn't the only dude with a working Dolceola!

Pete, you are correct. There is a ton of information on the net. And I love the fact that it is free. Your videos are very much appreciated as well as all the free information on your web site. Outstanding!
I've spent many hours researching uke building on the net. However I think it would be foolish of me not to look for a book or two on the subject as well. Before I invest my time in something new, I want all the information I can get.
I think you should make the video.
I was in an Indian restaurant in Hong Kong one night where they had a small group playing. The keyboard was a Dolceola. Very cool little instrument.

The name of the book is "Uke design/construction " by D.Henry Wickham.
fahrnar do you go to the Santa Cruz uke or the Sons of the beach uke jam??
I saw on your profile that you are in Sant Cruz. I go to the Sons of the Beach uke jam every chance I can. We may have met.
Dan

Hey Dan. Thanks for the response.
Have not been to the local club meets yet but have looked at all the vids on YouTube. Not sure I'm ready for that much uke fun just yet.
Brought my first uke back from Hawaii about 6 weeks ago. Was pumped to join the club and maybe even take some lessons from one of the locals.
But, there is so much stuff available on the internet plus books I've picked up, I think I'm making some good progress.
Want to build one next. Perhaps a kit for starters but do have woodworking experience.
Maybe we should move this off to a PM. I'll take the book if KingJ... doesn't grab it.
Funny, Amazon reader reviews were poor for this book but as I looked at their objections, it just sounded better to me.
An "idea book". What did you think of it?

Last edited:
The Wickham book is riddled with typos and is not very well written. However, I found it to be a good complement to the Hana Lima Ia book, which is more comprehensible but is of limited use for a bolt-on neck design. Get 'em both.

Pete, I think it it would bee really useful to post a vid on youtube on how you build a ukulele shell.
I poked around on the internet for 2 hours and I could not find any info on how you build a uke shell.
And Dan I'm sorry I didn't take your offer before, i still want the book but I don't have a paypal and I don't have the money right now.
If anyone can help me get the links to build a uke shell preferribly a tenor uke that would be really helpful!!

thank you.!

Thanks mzuch, Just placed the order.
Disappointed about the bolt on approach though. My thinking was that a tenon or dove tail joint would be best at that interface (for vibration transfer through the body between the nut and saddle).
On the other hand, Taylor Guitars seem to pull it off successfully.
Any thoughts on that?

kingJurzy; here's a link to YouTube with a search 'building a ukulele". You will be overwhelmed with 'how to' videos. Among them Pete Howletts step by step building course.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=building+a+ukulele&search_type=&aq=f
Another link, Waverly, provides step by step instructions.
http://www.wsukes.com/plans.html
One more, and this is all you get;
http://www.moorebettahukes.com/
These folks are all very kind in sharing insight to their processes.
And by the way king, thank you for the post. Cheers.

Last edited:
There ia a set of plans that goes with this book that is available from Stewart-Macdonald.

This book is pretty good but does not compare to the Hana Lima book.

Konala

To be honest, I have purchased the "ukulele design and construction" by D. Henry Wickham, and to say the least, was NOT satisfied with it, of course, that's probably what I get for buying a book about ukulele making that's made by a guy who's ukes I haven't heard of.

edit: that's not to say that I haven't found the book at all useful, some of the jigs I'm building right now for my next soprano are from this book. But to be weighed against the poorly written qualities of this book, as well as the many typos and how "incomplete" it is, I must say not to get it. It seems to treat it like a cookbook, just mix this in with that, and as long as you have the right stuff, it'll turn out, and from the advice I had recieved from some people (one of them being a luthier for classical guitars, as well as a few uke builders) seems to be the opposite: what it's made of, while still important for stability and ease of workability, is not nearly as important as good craftsmanship and how its made.

Last edited:
I got the book and also the Hana Lama book. Both were OK . I read them then sold them cheap so others could benefit from them. I think they are great for someone that is thinking about or just starting out building. This is an addiction and having something to read while watching TV is kinda cool. There is so much on line I used the book/ books as a start. Once I built one or two The book was not needed.
My opinion is that it is what it is, a start in uke building. If I were to do it again I would still buy the book for reference until I got up to speed.
As far as misspellings. No one likes them in a book but so what you can still read it and get out of it what you wanted it for. Its not like your going to keep it on the coffee table for all to see.
Just my opinion.

Dan

I got the book and also the Hana Lama book. Both were OK . I read them then sold them cheap so others could benefit from them. I think they are great for someone that is thinking about or just starting out building. This is an addiction and having something to read while watching TV is kinda cool. There is so much on line I used the book/ books as a start. Once I built one or two The book was not needed.
My opinion is that it is what it is, a start in uke building. If I were to do it again I would still buy the book for reference until I got up to speed.
As far as misspellings. No one likes them in a book but so what you can still read it and get out of it what you wanted it for. Its not like your going to keep it on the coffee table for all to see.
Just my opinion.

Dan

:agree: 100 %

This forum is a great resource. Members are very willing to share insight and information.
Asking questions has nothing to do with being lazy.
The only stupid question is that which has not been asked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom