Mainland Red Cedar Soprano Review

jhgarl35

Reaction score
Quick review with sound samples. I also compare with the Ohana SK35. I forgot to mention in the video that I had a really good experience with Mike at Mainland as well. I had some questions and he got back to me right away. Fast and inexpensive shipping too. -john

Enjoyed your review. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I also own a SK35 and a Mainland soprano: Mainland has a neck that is thicker than the Ohana. That is another difference between the two.

Nice review. I always enjoy the old time soprano sounds you squeeze out of your SK-35 on YT. The mainland sounds a lot like it even with the cedar top. Do you think the cedar is louder, or about the same?

Enjoyed your review. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I also own a SK35 and a Mainland soprano: Mainland has a neck that is thicker than the Ohana. That is another difference between the two.

Yeah, I see what you mean now. I just chalked it up to thicker finish, but on closer look the neck on the mainland is slightly thicker (not wider). I actually prefer the thicker neck.

Nice review. I always enjoy the old time soprano sounds you squeeze out of your SK-35 on YT. The mainland sounds a lot like it even with the cedar top. Do you think the cedar is louder, or about the same?

The cedar is definitely louder than the mahogany ohana. I thought it would be the other way around. I have another cedar top that is considerably mellow. But I think the combo of the rosewood and the cedar makes the tone loud and mellow at the same time.

Nice review! I liked your playing too. What is the song you were playing at 2:44? I would like to learn that one. Do you have the tabs?

Thanks
Lori

Nice review. I just bought a Mainland Mahogany Soprano as a birthday gift for my niece and am enjoying spending a couple of weeks with it before her birthday. You know.... stretching the strings so it will stay in tune for her. (lol) It is a very nicely made and lovely sounding instrument and I plan on getting one for myself sometime in the future. I've always liked the look of the Cedar top, and I don't have any Cedar ukes so perhaps I'll get that instead of the mahogany. Or maybe I'll get both!

Top Bottom