Plectrums and strings

JCUK

Reaction score
I really like the sound of my uke played with a plectrum, but I'm not used to nylon stringed instruments -- will using a light guitar plectrum ruin the strings, does anyone know?

The traditional plectrum used with ukulele would be made of felt. I've seen them for sale on eBay, and at some music retailers.

I don't think a plectrum would necessarily "ruin" the strings, although it might cause them to wear out a little sooner. I think the bigger problem would be scratches on the uke's finish from aggressive strumming. Acoustic guitars typically have a pick guard to protect the finish.

When you think about it, a plectrum would be no harder on a Uke (or guitar) than long finger nails.
Also, have seen pro players on YouTube us thumb picks. Have also seen a lot of well used Ukes with finger nail scratches.
Just go for the sound you like best and what works for you.

Thanks guys. I'll try out a felt one and see how it sounds, but it seems like I have no real need to worry.

Ask Willie Nelson, he's been using a medium guitar pick on his nylon strung Martin for a lot of years.:)

Jude

Try leather picks as well. Kiwaya sells them. I've been planning on buying one, but I don't really see a great need for it.

I've had good luck with rubber "Wedgie" picks. Get the softest they make, which is the thin white one. They're hard to find. I only found thick mediums at the local store. I ordered a variety pack online and tried them all before I settled on the thin ones.

Don't buy felt picks they are fat and inflexible I use a .60 normal plectrum

I make felt picks by sandwiching a .60 Dunlop nylon pick between two pieces of sticky-back felt from WalMart... Works a charm. Not stiff like the felt 'uke' picks...

Top Bottom