Help me pick! :)

Mele. Kalas are great, but I think of Mele as the next step up.

Mele. My next uke.

I'm going to have to go with the Mele. It's a beautiful Koa uke. The Kala is great too, but if I had to decide, I'd definitely pick the Mele. :D

I've got the Kala acacia. (tenor)
It has a good sound... not as bright as my Kanilea koa tenor but that is probably because of the ebony nut and saddle verses the harder bone or bone-like material on the Kanilea.
It looks good and plays well but feels just a little clunkier in my hands. Fatter neck I guess. Still need too lower the action but intonation is good.
The cool head stock is a great feature and is what sets it apart from my other ukes.
But, they got just a little too creative, IMO, with those fret markers. They just don't fit in with the rest of the instrument. Again, just my opinion.
I've had the Mele on my watch list for most of this week. Koa top with mahogany back and sides certainly makes it unique. And it looks absolutely gorgeous. I want it!
So, bottom line, you need to buy the Mele so I can take it off my watch list and maybe then my GAS or UGAS (or simply UAS) will go away.
But then I notices they have 2 available...... means you have to buy both.
Note that most of the manufacturing is done in the Philippines but they claim a high level of supervision so, should be good. I think it's a good buy and a step up.
Again, please buy the Mele and let us know how it sounds.

I never buy anything I can't try first but, purely from looks, I'm a sucker for inlay and fancy stuff so I like the Kala better. If I was to buy sight unseen off the net the only guy I'd trust is MGM and he's the one selling the Kala.

I've got the Kala acacia. (tenor)
It has a good sound... not as bright as my Kanilea koa tenor but that is probably because of the ebony nut and saddle verses the harder bone or bone-like material on the Kanilea.
It looks good and plays well but feels just a little clunkier in my hands. Fatter neck I guess. Still need too lower the action but intonation is good.
The cool head stock is a great feature and is what sets it apart from my other ukes.
But, they got just a little too creative, IMO, with those fret markers. They just don't fit in with the rest of the instrument. Again, just my opinion.
I've had the Mele on my watch list for most of this week. Koa top with mahogany back and sides certainly makes it unique. And it looks absolutely gorgeous. I want it!
So, bottom line, you need to buy the Mele so I can take it off my watch list and maybe then my GAS or UGAS (or simply UAS) will go away.
But then I notices they have 2 available...... means you have to buy both.
Note that most of the manufacturing is done in the Philippines but they claim a high level of supervision so, should be good. I think it's a good buy and a step up.
Again, please buy the Mele and let us know how it sounds.

Check out my YT page. I have a sound sample of a koa top and a solid koa mele.

John, thanks for the link.
Was surprised at how harsh sounding the koa/mahogany seemed as compared to the Double Puka which to my ears was more mellow, fuller and richer sounding.... almost guitar sounding.
Maybe harsh was too strong a word but given the solid koa verses the koa/mahog, just the opposite of what I expected.
Must be the strings do you think? Do you still have those Aquilis on that uke?
Just curious if you had put Hilos with the wound 3rd and 4th on there and what you thought.
Thanks again for the vids. Good stuff.

John, thanks for the link.
Was surprised at how harsh sounding the koa/mahogany seemed as compared to the Double Puka which to my ears was more mellow, fuller and richer sounding.... almost guitar sounding.
Maybe harsh was too strong a word but given the solid koa verses the koa/mahog, just the opposite of what I expected.
Must be the strings do you think? Do you still have those Aquilis on that uke?
Just curious if you had put Hilos with the wound 3rd and 4th on there and what you thought.
Thanks again for the vids. Good stuff.

I no longer own those ukes. I sold the koa top (super secret beta now owns it) to buy an 8 string. The double puka has been replaced by a mahog mele 6 string. I didn't like the aquilas on that Mele. I strung the double puka with koolau golds before I got rid of it and I felt that they complemented the double puka quite nicely.

If you're going to upgrade to either of those, absolutely grab the Mele. I've had my eye on a solid koa Mele for ages (even though I'm a 'hog junkie), but haven't had the funds lying around for one.

Bag the Mele, and I promise you won't regret it! :)

Top Bottom