Is UAS grounds for divorce?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been watching eBay pretty closely lately, as I've been out of work with a bad back sprain for the last week. As luck would have it, I've found not one, but two ukes that I'm tempted to bid on. Both auctions end in a matter of days.

Both are used, both are not usually found on eBay, and (of course) I think they can both be had at good prices. That's the good news.

The bad news is that she'd likely kill me. We're not talking huge $$ here, she's just not keen on my uke hobby. A third uke I'm watching may be the best deal yet....but it will be big bucks. I've written that one off.

Is it indeed better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission? Should I just pass? Bid on one and not the other? Or bid on both and take my lumps after the fact?

UAS is killing me, and eBay isn't helping at all....

Your wife is far more important than acquiring things. If you seriously believe it will be a major issue it's time to lay off the eBay.

Melissa....

She's the love of my life, and I'd do anything for her. But if I gave her the chance, she'd ask me to give up the uke altogether. I don't want to irritate her, but I don't want to quit being "me", either. I guess another altenative would be to talk it over with her beforehand, in the hopes of getting a green light to bid. The problem with that scenario is the possibility of making her mad without even having done anything....

If I could buy those two at auction, I'd be willing to sell my soprano. But, then again, money really isn't the issue here.

similar boat to you my friend my advise would be to not to ask she will say no!!

that said you must have a spend up to point where price is not important? (i will spend $60 without thinking but dare not spend $100)
find out what she will let you play with (that sounded a lot more dodgey than it was meant to).
also might have to sell of some ukes to enable a new purchase. how these people get ten+ ukes into their houses i don't know.

Cliff

A friend of mine with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome told me a new guitar for him means a new Coach purse for his wife. Maybe you can reach detente with your spouse in a similar fashion.

I have been married for 42 years......it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!!!! Go for it!!!!

A friend of mine with Guitar Acquisition Syndrome told me a new guitar for him means a new Coach purse for his wife. Maybe you can reach detente with your spouse in a similar fashion.

I think that sounds like a good idea. It would make a nice compromise. However, if you think that buying more ukes is going to cause a serious problem, you might wanna hold off for a while. After all, a divorce might mean that she gets half your ukes... But in all seriousness, (and I don't really know the dynamics of your relationship, so it's kinda hard to judge) if buying ukuleles is causing a rift in your relationship, I'd try to fight the UAS for now.

And I second Mellisa's question: what exactly does she not like about the uke? Maybe if you resolved that issue with her, then buying more ukes wouldn't be such a problem?

My wife and I each get an allowance each month... She can save hers or spend it as she likes, I can save or spend mine as I like. Contributes a lot to marital harmony.

But that's money. If 'money really isn't the issue' then what is?

She's the love of my life, and I'd do anything for her. But if I gave her the chance, she'd ask me to give up the uke altogether.

Someone needs to start taking her reasonable pills.

Given that your hobby doesn't unreasonably eat into the household budget, and given that you pull your weight at home and meet all the commitments that fall to you, why the hell should she object to your playing the ukulele to the extent that she would have you give it up?

Thanks for the replies....

I've been giving it some more thought. The reality is that I have never lied to my wife. Never intend to start. I would never deceive her. Although I have spent money without "permission" before, in this case I know it would cause trouble, and I don't want to do that.

I want one of those two ukes more than I do the other one. I'm thinking I should give up on one and talk to her about the other. Maybe try to get her to agree on a one-time bid at an agreed limit. Put in the bid and hope it flys....no last minute bid increases. Again, the problem isn't money. She just doesn't like my uke hobby (this would need an entire thread by itself).

If we can't come to an agreement, I may pass on the auction. If we can't agree but she has no valid objection, I may bid anyway. At least I wouldn't feel as if I'd done it behind her back.

For the record, I have bought only two ukes, both over a year ago, for a total expenditure of under $300. I have six or eight times the amount I intend to bid on hand in savings. Just sayin'....

My wife and I each get an allowance each month... She can save hers or spend it as she likes, I can save or spend mine as I like. Contributes a lot to marital harmony.

But that's money. If 'money really isn't the issue' then what is?

We have a similar arrangement. She is much better at saving hers than I am, however. I get distracted by shiny things.

Well, if you can't explain the reason as to why she doesn't like your uking, I'm going to say pass on anymore uke's unless you sell others first.

When your wife asks you to stop buying ukuleles.... just say "NO" .......... as in "NO WAY!" ;)

You could always take some of your money and buy a spine....... who knows.... she may like her new husband.... :)

But, then again, money really isn't the issue here.

If money isn't an issue, I don't see what is. She does not need to control your happiness just to have control. Buy your ukulele(s), and buy her something she has been eyeballing, or suggest she do so on her own accord.
If money were an issue, that would be a whole different story.

Top Bottom