2 Words for ya: Gibson Dusk Tiger Electric Uke?

I'll take it, but ONLY if it comes with a tiger :drool:

...and by tiger, I mean the animal. rawr!

I had one of the first Gibson SG Robot guitars but after the novelty of repeatedly changing tunings for my friends and breaking a few strings I took it back. There have been a few improvements in the models that followed and I'm sure the tiger is approaching what I had hoped for in the Robot series but on a uke? Hmmmmm...would be interesting I guess...

Yes it is a guitar with a built in system to tune itself to several tunings by the flick of a button. It also has on board sound effects too apparently. We were just musing as to what a ukulele would be like with this system built in...

I think you'd have a hard time making the servos work with friction tuners.

I had one of the first Gibson SG Robot guitars but after the novelty of repeatedly changing tunings for my friends and breaking a few strings I took it back. There have been a few improvements in the models that followed and I'm sure the tiger is approaching what I had hoped for in the Robot series but on a uke? Hmmmmm...would be interesting I guess...

I wondered about the broken string possibilities with such a system. I do like the programmable pickups and such - great for live applications - no need to have multiple guitars on hand! You're right about the novelty factor, but there's something cool about those servos...

I'm a bit confused... This is a guitar right?

Yeah, a guirarbot. Pretty weird. Not a very good looking one at that, as guitars go. I find the chrome design to be a bit goofy and distracting. I keep seeing the Gibson ad / link here and finally clicked on it. I'm familiar with the Parker guitars and their amazing capabilities, but for $10,000 it better make a cup of coffee! Here's Adrian Belew demoing it on YT if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTe-B0ZTtJ0 What I really like about this technology are the tonal variations from a pretty good acoustic to ballsy electric. How about a Parker uke?

I must have missed the guitar. All I saw was a tiger and a strobe light.

Seriously, if your instrument is awesome enough to warrant a video with that kind of budget-- seriously, a tiger?-- you should a) SHOW the damned instrument. All of it. In a single shot. and b) actually point out, using words, some of its awesomeness.

Otherwise, yeah, seizureCat is impressive, but the video left me the opposite of curious about the guitar itself.

I must have missed the guitar. All I saw was a tiger and a strobe light.

Seriously, if your instrument is awesome enough to warrant a video with that kind of budget-- seriously, a tiger?-- you should a) SHOW the damned instrument. All of it. In a single shot. and b) actually point out, using words, some of its awesomeness.

Otherwise, yeah, seizureCat is impressive, but the video left me the opposite of curious about the guitar itself.

At the bottom of the page, click on the various thumbnails for their demos. They could be done better IMO, but they get the basic points across.

At the bottom of the page, click on the various thumbnails for their demos. They could be done better IMO, but they get the basic points across.

Yeah, no, I found that eventually.

But still-- yeah-- if the instrument's really great, put IT forward first, not seizureCat.

I like the DT (although it is ugly as sin to me – mostly that awful chrome pick guard). I change guitar tunings on a regular basis and the ability to drastically swap open tunings on the fly is very compelling. It’s not uncommon for me to go from double drop D to standard, then to DADGAD, then back to standard in short order. This thing would save me a ton of time if it were on an acoustic guitar.

But on my uke, I might drop one string once in a while – but with only four strings it just doesn’t lend itself to open tuning as much, so I don’t really see the need for a robot system. I just don’t see the function as remotely important for the uke.

Yeah, no, I found that eventually.

But still-- yeah-- if the instrument's really great, put IT forward first, not seizureCat.

I agree wholeheartedly. A HUGE company like Gibson should be have more marketing savvy than that. At least hire someone who knows how to play to demo the thing.

I like the DT (although it is ugly as sin to me – mostly that awful chrome pick guard). I change guitar tunings on a regular basis and the ability to drastically swap open tunings on the fly is very compelling. It’s not uncommon for me to go from double drop D to standard, then to DADGAD, then back to standard in short order. This thing would save me a ton of time if it were on an acoustic guitar.

But on my uke, I might drop one string once in a while – but with only four strings it just doesn’t lend itself to open tuning as much, so I don’t really see the need for a robot system. I just don’t see the function as remotely important for the uke.
Yeah, I said above I wasn't crazy about the chrome. It looks like something the guys at American Chopper would come up with. The thing that impressed me the most was the programmable pickups more than the auto-tuning with the piezo functioning as an acoustic simulator. Quite cool. I'm kidding about a robouke... I think...

Top Bottom