Which Color?

Paul December

Reaction score
Rather than put electronics into one of my existing ukes, I thought it would give me excuse to buy something entirely new :D
I decided to get a Kala Archtop, just not sure which color to go with:
Mahogany Brown
or
Tobacco Sunburst

brownmahogany.jpgtobbacosunburst.jpg

I've been looking at this lately and doing my best to resist.
I like the way it looks though. So I would pick the sunburst.

light-jazzfullburst.jpg

I'd go tobacco sunburst, myself....

They are both pretty. I have never seen one like the dark one before, not that I have seen everything (yet). The dark one reminds me of a violin and the other of a jazz guitar. This probably doesn't help much. The more I look at them, the more I like both of them.

Well, I own tobacco sunburst, so my biased choice is for that one. Looks good on stage.

I also just recently got the sunburst one. I had a choice between that and a black one. I found out Kala does not make the mahogany or the black one any more. They will continue making the sunburst. If there are mahogany or black ones still available they are the last for a while. I still liked the sunburst the best and so did my wife (who bought it for my birthday) so it was a slam dunk.

I chose the sunburst and I totally love it. I'm not keen on the mahogany but I did consider the black. Take a look at the archtop jazz guitars on the Gibson site if that helps.

The 'hog is so nice but I gotta say sunburst. It's just too cool to say no.

Sunburst all the way :) The sunburst makes those soundholes look so much cooler. It's like what a nice shirt does to make your eyes pop. Thats what that color does to those soundholes. :D

Wow, I've never seen the brown one before, usually just the sunburst and the ebony... The brown is tempting but I'd still stick with the sunburst. Magority of ukes are brown anyway so stick out from the crowd!

You could ofcourse always get them both...

My brother in law showed up Christmas day with the sunburst (I introduced him to ukes Thanksgiving) I ended up buying the mahogany for a few reasons, I have had many sunburst guitars in the past and wanted something different, also the mahogany looks more like a uke, the sunburst looks like a little guitar. Which is better looking? I'd say the sunburst hands down, looks more expensive, richer looking and to my eyes much prettier. You will love either, sound, feel, and look great. Fun plugged in. Mine made it into the rotation last night and I played it a couple hours, had a blast playing it through my Roland Micro Cube.

I went with brown, because I like being able to see the natural wood grains (even if its a veneer). With the sunburst, you have no idea what the wood looks like underneath as its painted over.

Another reason is that the brown can fit in wider genres. For instance, it wouldn't be fitting for a sunburst uke to be playing classical music, whereas the mahogany finish can get away with just about any genre.

The sunburst and black models are laminate spruce tops, whereas the brown one is a laminate mahogany top. I wonder if a difference in laminate makes much of a difference in tone.

Top Bottom