Banjo Ukulele Help??

UkuleleJarr

Reaction score
im thinking of aquiring a banjo ukulele, however ido have a few quieries.

re-entrant or low g?

and

is it a good idea to tune it kind of like a banjo? (so GDGB)? kin of like a five string without the fifth string

just wondering, cos if i do retune it like this, would a high G (re-entrant) sound better than low?

thx

UkuleleJarr

is it a good idea to tune it kind of like a banjo? (so GDGB)? kin of like a five string without the fifth string

I think you left out the wrong G. Without the 5th string, it would be (DGBD). Consider tuning it like a banjo at the 5th fret. (GCEG) I think this is also a slack key ukulele tuning.
I've never tried a low G on mine, but try both , and let us know how they compare.

I am using a low G tuning on my banjolele. Mostly because I need a biger scale for the ragtimes I play with the rest of the band. It sounds ok even when playing chords.
I play a Wim banjolele, you can check his work at http://bajolele.net - there is also a video of me playing don't get around much anymore - but I was using high g tuning then.

oh yes of course thanks for correcting me.

i will try out a few different tunings to try to get it close to a banjo, me and a friend want to do dueling banjos for a gig in the summer so im trying to make it easyer for me :D

basically i was thinking re-tuning so when played open it plays a G chord. cos a banjo is tuned in G

when it comes to Hi-G vs low...aquila seems to only do low G banjolele strings...but other options are available.

in any case the opne imn bidding on atm will need a little bit of refurbishment, a good project to keep me entertained

i will keep you posted on my banjolele venture

My%

hope you can see this picture

ok i will try again

typical banjo G tuning
|....|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|....|
G...D...B...G...D

Proposed ukulele tuning

|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|
|....|....|....|
G...D...B...G

so its like the banjo tuning, just missing the frist string (high D) and up the octave

think of a G chord, basically the strings tuned to the notes of the chord.

therefore tuned in G, banjo-esque.

i think it will be interesting, will do a full report on the re-furbishment and tuning ideas once i have the Banjolele

Top Bottom