anyone else's fluke have this?

austin1

Reaction score
hello all!

so I just got a tenor fluke for my birthday, and right off the bat I am a huge fan, but something was bothering me about the tuners and it took me a while to figure out what it was: my G and C strings tune higher as I turn the knob away from me, but my E string tunes higher turning away from me (the same direction as the G and C strings)while the A string tunes higher turning towards me. Is it supposed to do that? Or have I just got a fluke with a sense of humor?

Since the Fleas and Flukes have oppositely opposed friction tuners, the ones on the left side turn in a different direction than those on the right when tightening and viewed from the side. IOW if you turn the G and C string tuners counter-clockwise they tighten, but the E and A strings tighten when you turn them clockwise, as viewed from the side.

Since the Fleas and Flukes have oppositely opposed friction tuners, the ones on the left side turn in a different direction than those on the right when tightening and viewed from the side. IOW if you turn the G and C string tuners counter-clockwise they tighten, but the E and A strings tighten when you turn them clockwise, as viewed from the side.

Good to know! So mine is just weird then, since my G, C, and E strings all turn counter-clockwise, but my A string turns clockwise?

I'm confused. I turn all of my pegs away from the body in order to raise the pitch. Did I string it wrong?

They should all tune higher turning away from you. Check how the A string is strung -- it might be strung under the tuning post, when it should really be above.

I'm confused. I turn all of my pegs away from the body in order to raise the pitch. Did I string it wrong?

I'm pretty sure that's how they're supposed to go. on the left side, counterclockwise would be moving away from the body, and on the right side, clockwise also moves away from the body. I'm just confused because on the right side of mine, the E string turns away from the body, while the A string turns towards the body. so maybe I just put the strings on wrong?

Edit: thanks ukeatan, I'll check!

You can string them to tighten either when turned counter-clockwise, or clockwise, but if the string does not come off the spool on the top of the uke (rather than the bottom) the strings will put a lot of pressure on the wood next to the slot. Mine even has a small groove dug into the wood where I strung it wrong once. When the strings come off the top of the spool they will tighten when turned CCW for strings G&C, and CW for strings E&A.

hmmm... are all the strings wound around on the post the same way? if not that might be the problem.

Definitely sounds like one is wound onto the peg the wrong way. You could undo it all the way then keep turning it till it starts to tighten again. Then problem solved.

For the visual learner - this is how they should be

aloha_ukulele_head_1920s.jpg

For the visual learner - this is how they should be

aloha_ukulele_head_1920s.jpg

do ypu have a pic of yours?...with guitars, half of the strings tune one way and vice versa

For the visual learner / Fluke player, this is how it should be:
FLUKE-SURF_headstock-front.jpg
(from Elderly). If you're looking at the front face of the headstock, all of your strings should go over the pins and wrap around, not under. So yup, change that A and you should be all good!

Top Bottom