Life or death

nobby8126

Reaction score
I am in the normally unheard of position of having some spare cash, which now puts me in an akward position. My angry pregnant wife knows about my finances and she no doubt has already spent it in her head, she also knows that I'm itchin to get myself a kala thineline travel tenor and although it isn't the most expensive of luxuries it will be my 4th uke in a 2month space of time.So do I:

1, Play the good husband and father and hang the over priced vomit inducing wallpaper she will no doubt buy with the money.

2, use the size of the kala to my advantage and hide it making her believe that she must've got her sums wrong.(I'm not good at the weaseling)

3,Buy it knowing full well that I can outrun her gigantuan frame and by the time her vengance is ready to be dealt she will be pre occupied with a new baby, which of course I can settle when crying with my new kala.

It's worth noting that I have just stumped up to extend my house so the cost of the kala in comparrison to what she has had to play with is negligible.(she isn't really a monster but pregnancy changes people)

Not getting involved, mate. All I can say is good luck.

Particularly, good luck with making sure your wife doesn't ever see that post. LOLz...

give it up to the family pot, that is the only decent thing to do, but hold back a mad money percentage for your own frittering, ten to fifteen is not unreasonable, more than twenty five is. if this is insufficient for the uke then put it away and declare it as savings for said uke in future. thus declaring intent and purpose for future actions so she is well warned but..... before doing anything else buy a small but personal 'just cos i love you' gift for her this will buy brownie points for later. flowers work wonders , even though we blokes think they are rubbish. Veto the wallpaper. it's your home too and you have a right to be in a space that you like... this is what you need the brownie points for. Delete that post or at least edit it heavily asap and hope to god your wife does not see it or you will be sleeping with the dog.

Uh, have you tried having a conversation about it?

I'm not one to give advice really. I go ahead and buy my ukes, then explain or justify them later. But my husband isn't pregnant so it can't begin to compare to your situation.

I agree with having a conversation...It's not as fun as running off and buying a new uke sans-permission but it may keep you out of the dog house. A word of caution though; I have been chatting with my lady about getting a modest Kala Dolphin from MGM (like 38 bucks!) and it has been met with some opposition. I will have to try to convince her of the utility of a 3rd uke at some other point.

To be completely honest, if our finances were not totally out of whack right now (new baby) I probably would have just bought it as well without taking her feelings into consideration...Looks like I just talked myself into a circle...sorry Dude, you're on your own.

Divide it :)

Half for her to buy the wallpaper of her choice with the funds available to her, half to you to buy the uke of your choice with the funds available to you OR to put to one side to buy one when you manage to add a bit more to your pot.

I'd also get REALLY busy learning a lullabye or five, that will endear you and the uke to her ! What better way to croon your baby to sleep ?

give it up to the family pot, that is the only decent thing to do, but hold back a mad money percentage for your own frittering, ten to fifteen is not unreasonable, more than twenty five is. if this is insufficient for the uke then put it away and declare it as savings for said uke in future. thus declaring intent and purpose for future actions so she is well warned but..... before doing anything else buy a small but personal 'just cos i love you' gift for her this will buy brownie points for later. flowers work wonders , even though we blokes think they are rubbish. Veto the wallpaper. it's your home too and you have a right to be in a space that you like... this is what you need the brownie points for. Delete that post or at least edit it heavily asap and hope to god your wife does not see it or you will be sleeping with the dog.

I like your percentages theory as it more than covers it. I would approach it in a civilized grown up manner such as a conversation but I currently liken it to trying to give a rabid wolverine a little tickle.
I took her with me today to my local music store under the guise of charity as they have just donated a free uke for me to auction for "Help for Heroes" as part of a big busk event I'm trying to organise in the summer on the seafront, anyway the convo strangely turned to how suprising the kala travel tenor was (the secret unwritten man plan worked a treat where 3 relative stranger with no briefing can be on the same wavelength to achieve a goal). She did not seem to opposed to the idea but then again we were in public so there were witnesses.

On the note of the big busk I will probably add another thread to see if any UK ukers would be interested in coming and playing, its for a really good cause and should be a lovely day at the seaside. And cheers Music Bay for your donation in advance.

Divide it :)

Half for her to buy the wallpaper of her choice with the funds available to her, half to you to buy the uke of your choice with the funds available to you OR to put to one side to buy one when you manage to add a bit more to your pot.

I'd also get REALLY busy learning a lullabye or five, that will endear you and the uke to her ! What better way to croon your baby to sleep ?

for some reason my others all loved Damien Rice when I played the guitar so I'll have to give that a try along with lullabyes

I suggest putting the amount needed to buy the uke to the side and buy it later. She's pregnant, give her what she wants, lol.

Talk your wife into buying a wallpaper with an ukulele pattern. Kind of meeting half way really.

You're going to take on a pregnant woman? Are you insane? This doesn't seem like a good time to feed UAS.

But I'm not getting involved.

You're going to take on a pregnant woman? Are you insane? This doesn't seem like a good time to feed UAS.

But I'm not getting involved.
I'm glad you said that. I was starting to worry that my initial response seemed unsympathetic.

Seriously, I've been married three times. I have two daughters who have had babies. Pregnant ladies, like loaded firearms, should be treated with a great deal of care and caution.

Nobby may think he can outrun the missus, but revenge is a dish best served cold. If he steps wrongly, Mrs Nobby may well just bide her time and then strike when he has been lulled into a false sense of security.

Nobby, not trying to scare you, mate, but... *shudder*

Tricky situation, don't think there's a correct answer, but you are putting yourself at unnecssary risk taking on a pregnant women... Read up on game theory if your gonna take her on though...lol

I didn't purchase anything during the pregenancy of our 1st child for myself, basically i just supported her and didn't do anything selfish (which under normal circumstances i generally do - well according to her anyway)... I gave up poker, playing electric guitar and just loud music in general - apart from the odd weekend when she stayed at her mums... Saying that, i saved money and once everything had settled down, she was happy to let me go to the dam for a weekend with my bro, and she was happy with me buying my first two ukes just a few weeks ago... Also i finance all luxury items (ukes and amsterdam break) through poker winnings - and i keep those finances totally seperate from our joint finances... You need a hobby that brings in a small income which she can't touch - then your free to spend those monies as you see fit... that would be my advice!

anyway just my 2pence and good luck!

Take it from someone who has wicked UAS and 4...yep...FOUR marriages under his belt (someday I may even get it right)! If Mama ain't happy...ain't nobody in the house happy! Give her anything she wants, ESPECIALLY now! You can always get a uke later, get it now and you'll always be paying for it! Now, light 3 candles at the alter of Saint Jake, (the patron saint of uke players)...and have no more lustful thoughts of ukuleles while your wife is expecting!:worship:

UU has just become about marital therapy between this and another UAS thread above (below?) :).

Don't do it is my advice. You will feel like you just took the food out of your unborn child's mouth . . . and sorry won't put it back!

P.S. I love my Kala Thinline Tenor.

P.P.S. I'm so bad . . . :)

Here's an idea. Send yourself a postcard (with a properly forged UU logo on the front) announcing that you just won a new uke. Then when it shows up you can both rejoice in the "FABULOUS PRIZE"!

Here's an idea. Send yourself a postcard (with a properly forged UU logo on the front) announcing that you just won a new uke. Then when it shows up you can both rejoice in the "FABULOUS PRIZE"!

You are way too sneaky!!!!!!! Mailman needs this advice more.

Nonono. They have a weird kind of ESP. She'll know, and you'll be in deeper trouble had you just bought it and said sorry.

Trust me. I ate a preggo woman's doughnut once. I didn't even know it was her doughnut (she forgot it on my desk at work. I saw it and thought someone left it for me which happens a lot. I still don't think I did anything wrong by eating it) but she FREAKED out. Don't tempt fate man.

Top Bottom