Uke for a very young person?

sealcove

Reaction score
My nearly two year old daughter has taken an interest in all of my stringed instruments. She particularly likes my ukulele and mandolins. I know she is pretty young still, but she can fret notes on my uke, make sounds, and has fun doing it. I am assuming that for a young child a soprano would be the best size (though she does a remarkable job with my tenor). Can anyone suggest a good sacrificial uke for my little one to drag around? I know that there are plenty of cheap ones out there, but I was wondering if any of these stood out? I know it is going to be destroyed, but I would like something that plays reasonably well so I may show her things and not have it sound terrible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Makala Dolphin!

Ditto on the Dolphin. I have never actually seen one in person, but what kid wouldn't love that bridge?

My 2 year old has a Lanikai LU21 that he plays with but I wish I had gone with the Makala Dolphin in like Cherry Red. The Lanikai is fine and all, and has withstood the abuse but I think he would prefer a Cherry Red plastic one!

That is just the tip I was looking for! Thanks a bunch everyone.

Definitely a Makala Dolphin! It is a great little instrument for the money. And it is something that you will enjoy playing too. They come in lots of different colors.

–Lori

I bought my then 5 and 3 year olds an ivy flea and a makala dolphin. They like them each for their separate reasons. And yes, the dolphin is a big part of it.

I bought my grandkid (5 & 7) each a Dolphin, one has the plastic body, one wood and their 18 month old brother plays with them too. They have held up very well and are good playing ukes too!

+1 on the Dolphin, but I'm pretty sure it's laminate, not plastic. Just sayin...

The older ones were wood bodies (laminate). The newer ones like mine are definitely a very tough plastic. I don't know what the tops of the plastics are made of, but it may be laminate. RevWill has a YT comparison on the plastic vs wood. There is a thread on how to tell which one you have.

Last edited:
I purchased 3 Dolphins for my grandkids......I really like to play them, also!!!

I'd recommend the Makala Dolphin for ANY newcomer, not just little kids. The intonation, etc. is actually pretty good, considering the price. And they're just friendly looking and fun.

I actually have one that I used to keep at work and now keep at my girlfriend's house-- basically my uke for when I'm out of my place. It does the job, it stays in tune, it sounds good... can't complain!

My 2-year old has a Makala dolphin. He likes my Kala Acacia better, but it's nice to be able to let him roam around with it, and carry it around in its little cloth case. And if it breaks, it cost £23. No problem. Well, a £23 problem. Not a Kala Acacia sized problem.

MGM does not list the model as a Dolphin, but given the bridge and the looks of it, I assume it is. I will definitely order from him.

Top Bottom