Ukulele String Question

AlexB

Reaction score
Well I was digging through my Grandpa's old stuff and found a Ukulele. From what I've been reading I've found out that it's a baritone ukulele. I really want to learn but I want to learn songs in standard GCEA tuning. I've been looking everywhere and I can't find baritone key of C strings anywhere. So I was wondering if it was possible to put tenor strings on a baritone ukulele, I mean in my head it seems like you would just have less string length to work with since a baritone is like 2 inches scale length longer. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this before and knows if it will work. All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Well I was digging through my Grandpa's old stuff and found a Ukulele. From what I've been reading I've found out that it's a baritone ukulele. I really want to learn but I want to learn songs in standard GCEA tuning. I've been looking everywhere and I can't find baritone key of C strings anywhere. So I was wondering if it was possible to put tenor strings on a baritone ukulele, I mean in my head it seems like you would just have less string length to work with since a baritone is like 2 inches scale length longer. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this before and knows if it will work. All help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Alex, welcome to UU. I had this same question about two years ago and I was told no that you can not do that. However, i have since learned that you can do that. I am not sure how you go about that and hopefully someone more experienced in the baritone arts can tell ya exactly how to do that.

BTW what kind of baritone is it?

like what brand? It says Kingston at the top of the headstock. It belonged to my Grandpa who has since passed away, it's very old but in good shape, the only thing that may need replacement is the tuning pegs which are kinda rusted.

Found these at Elderlys;
AQUILA NYLGUT BARITONE UKE SET
C tuning (GCEA, "bass" side to treb side), all plain strings. Gauges, from treb side to bass side, 1st to 4th, are about 025 031 038 027 in thousanths of an inch. These strings are made i
Here's the link; http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=baritone+strings&x=0&y=0
There may be more. I didn't look further.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom