How do you hold your ukulele?

Lokene

UU+
Reaction score
I've been playing my ukulele and when I'm sitting down all is good. But if I stand up to play my ukulele starts to fall on the back side. (The bottom part) Then I have to try to bring it back up while I'm playing. Is there a way to hold my ukulele while I stand and play? Without a strap.

:0)

Well technically you're supposed to use your right elbow/forearm to hold (scrunch??) the body against your ribcage and your left hand around the fretboard, in reality I have trouble with gloss finished ukuleles pressing to my ribcage, and some clothing makes it dificult to have friction so the uke doesnt slip!!! and the left hand seems ok most of the time however there are moments when the uke is sort does a juggling trick when there is no hand there to support it, but the mantra is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

In short I use a satin finished uke in preference to a gloss. Pineapple Pete's website was invaluable to me in my first few months. Voila> http://www.ukeschool.com/instruction.html

yup, not so easy. It's amazing to see people like Jake or Aldrine do so much with their ukes standing up without a strap. I find that I really can't squeeze hard enough with my right arm to completely free my left hand without the neck falling.

I've thought about giving in and just using a strap. After all James Hill uses one. But so far I guess I don't want to be dependent on it.

So with "pracitce, practice, practice" I've managed to find ways to transfer the job of supporting the uke from hand to hand depending on the music. After awhile it happens without thinking about it.

By the way, I have the same problem when sitting, just not as bad. When seated I try to squeeze the uke between my ribs and right leg. Coming from a classical guitar backround where your left hand is completely free, it has taken some time to get use to this. I've seen others rest their ukes on their left thigh with their left foot elevated classical guitar style, but I haven't found this very comfortable.

Top Bottom