Other instruments a uke player can play?

SparkyUkulele

Reaction score
I was wiki-surfing and came across an instrument called a Kroncong from Indonesia.

It got me wondering...could a uke-player pick up that instrument quite easily since it's similar? And what other instruments could a uke player pick up very easily? If any, that is? :confused: Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Sparky

In theory, a uker could pick up any instrument easily ;).

But if you're talking about similar instruments, the cavaquinho and the charango are sort of related to the uke, although the tunings are different.

And apparently (after doing some additional research, out of curiosity) "Kroncong" is a type of music in Indonesia, rather than the instrument itself. The instrument is sometimes called a "Kroncong guitar" (I'm not sure if that's its proper name or what), but looks like a ukulele and may have three or four strings. I have no idea what it sounds like.

And apparently (after doing some additional research, out of curiosity) "Kroncong" is a type of music in Indonesia, rather than the instrument itself. The instrument is sometimes called a "Kroncong guitar" (I'm not sure if that's its proper name or what), but looks like a ukulele and may have three or four strings. I have no idea what it sounds like.

To my knowledge you're half right. At my last job I worked closely with a colleague based in Jakarta. When I mentioned that I was teaching myself the ukulele he asked me for more info. I gave him the wikipedia link for the uke and he replied "oh, we call that a kroncong, it's very popular here", he then gave me this link

Kroncong (pronounced "kronchong") is the name of a ukulele-type instrument and an Indonesian musical style that typically makes use of the kroncong, a flute, and a female singer.

(emphasis mine)

If Jakarta's customs officers weren't so corrupt (expensive bribes just for normal passage of goods is the norm), I'd have had my colleague send one over to me.

It's also mentioned in this thread:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?18734-Indonesia-Anyone

Same Portugese heritage as the uke. So there, or something *folds arms* :D

I was wiki-surfing and came across an instrument called a Kroncong from Indonesia.

It got me wondering...could a uke-player pick up that instrument quite easily since it's similar? And what other instruments could a uke player pick up very easily? If any, that is? :confused: Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Sparky

Well, I know for sure I couldn't pick up the piano. What are they....1500 pounds?

Well, I know for sure I couldn't pick up the piano. What are they....1500 pounds?

Well, if anyone picks up the drums, now would be a good time for a rim shot.

At my last job I worked closely with a colleague based in Jakarta. When I mentioned that I was teaching myself the ukulele he asked me for more info. I gave him the wikipedia link for the uke and he replied "oh, we call that a kroncong, it's very popular here", he then gave me this link

Oof. Got schooled thurrr. :eek:

I thought that at first, based on the article, but then I started to get super confused once all my searches for "Kroncong" led to links to popular music albums and such. The only picture I was able to find was categorized as a "Kroncong guitar", so I thought that reconciled everything. Apparently not!

Bahahahaha. :rofl: That was good.

Charangos are tuned very similar to the uke and fun to play around with. You can pick up a good cheap one on ebay that comes with a nice hardshell case to store it in. On hindsight, I shouldn't have got the armadillo back since the armadillo shell is not a durable material. Get a wood charango and spare the armadillo. Strings are in pairs and tuned gg, cc, eE, aa,ee. The E in the middle being the reiterent and only that pair tuned in octave. Chord shapes are the same except you may need to stretch that pinky at times. The strings bunched together allows even small fingers to easily glide over them for really fast strumming. Since they are similar to the uke and use nylon strings they are easy on the fingers, not hard as some mandolins are. Here is a pic of my ebay armadillo. It came with a canvas carrybag for about $89.00.
Ernest

Picture055.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting question.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

I play a load of string instruments: uke, guitar, bass, mandolin, tenor banjo, mandola, bouzouki, fiddle... Experience with each one helps a little with the others.

Which instruments for a uke player to learn? Well, here are a few thoughts.

Mandolin and fiddle - These are small instruments, so would be consistent with the kind of left hand stretches that a soprano or concert 'ukulele player is accustomed to. Tuning is very different though (both are GDAE in ascending 5ths), and fiddle is a pretty alien-feeling thing to players used to strumming and picking. Feels like training to be a contortionist.

Guitar - as the actual intervals of uke strings are the same as on the "top" (highest pitched) strings on a guitar, there are many common chord and scale shapes - although they are transposed. The awkward thing about an acoustic guitar is that it is freakin' ginormous. Honestly, after a year or two of playing 'ukuleles, mandolins and fiddles, a guitar feels like you're trying to strum an ocean liner. I played for 35 years then turned mostly away from guitar. I just picked one up again and it's taking a while to readjust my sense of scale.

Bouzouki - Hmmm... actually, forget it. Even for a veteran guitar player the 'zouk can be a scary exercise in finger stretches. And yet another weird tuning to learn: often GDAD.

5-string banjo - Can also be a bit of a stretch, and means learning a new tuning, but the G drone has some things in common with the rentrant G on an 'ukulele. Clawhammer / frailing style playing works on both instruments. I can see 5-string banjo being an interesting diversion for a uke player.

Once one has mastered the mechanical techniques of fretting, strumming, picking, fingerpicking etc, changing string instruments is largely a matter of learning new chord and scale shapes, and adjusting to different sizes and scale lengths of instruments. Most players rely mostly on "muscle memory" for much of their ability - instinctive playing patterns instilled by repetition. So, in practical terms, when I talk about learning new tunings I mostly mean learning the new pattern shapes associated with those tunings.

Of course, any knowledge of music theory that you may have acquired while learning 'ukulele will apply to any other instrument.

Warnng: learning a heap of instruments can mean that you split your time between so many that you don't get as good at any of them as you might have wished. I have totally overstretched myself and I'm just sort-of-ok at a bunch of instruments instead of good at one or two. Trouble is that I love 'em all, and can't give any up.

So approach with caution. ;)

How about a banjo?

A five string picking pattern is a bit different than a four string picking pattern. Tunings are different (banjo is G tuning), so the chord forms are different.

I had been playing the 5 string banjo for a number of years and one day someone handed me a four string banjo - I couldn't play the thing! My thumb kept going for the G drone string during the picking pattern and it wasn't there.

A decent banjo has a good amount of metal on it and feels like a boat anchor after you've been playing the uke for a while.

From 'The Atlas of Plucked Instruments'...

keroncong guitar / cak-cuk

Small guitar from Java island, Indonesia, mainly used in Keroncong music (pronounced "kron-chong"), which has some Portuguese influence (from late 19th century).

cak%20cuk%20keroncong.jpg

Originally it was a small slender 5-string guitar, now completely replaced by a set of two ukuleles. One ukulele with 4 steel strings is called the cak (pronounced “chak”) and is played in 4-beat, with the off-beat strums accentuated. It often has lots of tiny holes in the front as soundhole. The strings run over a loose bridge to a mandolin-like stringholder. Tuning : a' d" f#" b".
The other ukulele, called the cuk (pronounced “chook”), has 3 nylon strings and often the normal single round soundhole. The strings run over a loose bridge to a mandolin-like stringholder. Tuning : g' b' e".
Together the cak and cuk form a set with interlocking strums, that gives Keroncong its characteristic sound.

The other instruments used in traditional Keroncong (or Kroncong or Krontjong) music are usually the gitar tunggal - the guitar (of local or of western manufacture), the violin, the flute and often a (plucked) cello and a (plucked) contra bass. Keroncong can also be performed using modern instruments like electric guitars, electronic keyboards and a drumkit.

First thing that popped in my head when I heard "Kron-Cong"
Korcong.jpg

I'll go with the others that say if you can play uke, you can play almost any box with strings on it that are intended to be strummed. It's usually just a matter of learning new chord shapes.

How about Strumstick?

Or Chapman Stick?

That said, I think that any uker looking for a second instrument would do well to consider some type of keyboard instrument, even if they might not take to it as quickly as a stringed instrument. All IMHO, of course.

JJ

Any stringed instrument is a small bridge to another stringed instrument.

But if you're even mildly competent with strumming rhythms, you might be a better percussionist than you'd think.

Musical knowledge translates pretty well from one instrument to another.

@ JJ and Haole

LOLz! You guys have just nailed two things I really can't do.

I cannot get the hang of keyboards. I just can't get my two hands doing the stuff they need to do at the same time. I do some left hand stuff ok and some right hand stuff, but ask me to use both hands together and I fall apart instantly.

Same with drums. I can just about play Irish bodhran. Give me a drum kit and it's instant fail.

Both require a kind of coordination I can't master.

Top Bottom