Copyrights, Youtube, WMG, civil disobedience, Hotel California cover extravaganza

gioconbrio

Reaction score
Okay, so I know we've all got different opinions on this whole Youtube copyright thing, but I think most of us agree on the following:

1) Covers should be permissible on Youtube.

2) Youtube profits from the work of others, whether it be copyright protected or original.

3) While we likely cannot pressure the recording industry (it being a mentally deficient dinosaur that knows it's going to die and is acting more out of spite than business sense), we can put some pressure on Youtube to work out an agreement whereby covers can be posted.

Given that roughly 95% of all videos on Youtube are in violation of some form of copyright or another, I don't honestly believe that Youtube really cares that much about policing its content. They have a copyright violation policy to legally cover their heinies and probably hope that WMG, et al, don't force them to take down too many. While this is the cheapest solution for Youtube, it is cowardly and pisses off its users, which, in the end, is not smart business.

So I've noticed that one song that sets off the alarm bells is Hotel California, and here's the idea: get as many people as possible to cover this song, set up separate accounts (with DIFFERENT email addresses), and make it blatantly obvious we're violating copyright (putting "violation," and "WMG SUX," for example, as tags). Every time your bogus account gets suspended open a new one. Covers can be anonymous, and I wouldn't recommend associating them with your old channel. Perhaps Youtube will get tired of deleting all these accounts and will try to rethink their policies. Or maybe not, it might just be a fun way to blow off some steam.

That's the plan, now who's interested in taking part?

I think UU just needs to accept that YouTube only turns a blind eye to violations where they make the most profit i.e. that weird =3 guy whose entire videos are blatant violations of copyright and fair use. He makes a profit as well for being a partner. It's all about $$$. They shut down small traffic videos to please WMG and report to them that they're doing something to avoid lawsuits. TY does NOT make a profit with small traffic uke videos. Unless you can get YT the $$$, post videos somewhere else where your copyright violations get ignored. They took out the "You" in "YouTube." The content they want you to watch that will make them $$$ is now fed to you contrary to what TY's original intentions were—an online democracy where the people choose what will be watched.

It's still a free market. There are plenty of other video upload sites to choose from.

Last edited:
I noticed that Julia Nunes still has tons of covers posted.... :rolleyes:

There's one account that will never get yanked for violations.

Given that roughly 95% of all videos on Youtube are in violation of some form of copyright or another

I'm not so sure that that's true. It might be the case that 95% of the videos on YouTube uses copywritten music, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're all violating copyright by using the music without permission or compensation to the copyright holders. As I've said before, I think YouTube actually does have agreements with many music publishers.

Perhaps Youtube will get tired of deleting all these accounts and will try to rethink their policies.

But it's not really up to them, though, is it?

If Warner Music Group doesn't want to allow people to cover "Hotel California", then policy, schmolicy. The law is on WMG's side, even if business sense and ethics aren't. There's nothing YouTube can do about it. (Well, except maybe move their entire operations to some James-Bond-Villian-style island outside the bounds of international law.)

I think it would be hilarious if the internets were flooded with covers of "Hotel California". But let's be clear about who the enemy is here.

JJ

Maybe a massive Hotel California collaboration video, cross-posted to as many accounts as possible, would make a good statement.

Top Bottom