PDA

View Full Version : UU clothes in public

Skottoman
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey,
Kind of a weird thread, but just wanted to see if others are getting the same reaction.

About 1 month ago, I ordered a UU sweatshirt hoodie, and a t-shirt. Now I live in Santa Cruz, CA and wear hoodie sweatshirts all the time. In all the years of wearing them I've never gotten ONE comment...

When I wear my brown UU hoodie out in public I get COMMENTS! Like "You play the ukulele?", or "Ukulele Underground, sounds cool", or even just thumbs up from people who see it.

Amazing! Just wondering if others who have/wear UU clothing in public have gotten any comments.
This has never happened to me, and I think just wearing something with the words UKULELE on it draws happy comments.

Anyone else? BTW, I love my hoodie UU guys!
Cheers,
Skottoman

MiaRosie
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Yup I get comments when wearing my tshirt lol - again always with smiles !

mailman
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I get lots of feedback when I wear my UU t-shirts....all positive!

tad
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Nobody ever seems to have noticed mine.

But then again, I try not to be noticed.

bbycrts
03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
I get noticed from time to time. Heck, Jake Shimabukuro commented on my UU t-shirt at the concert last night...

MisoHappy
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Oh all the time. Usually it's like (since everyone knows I play) a "haha nice shirt!"

Only a few people have actually asked about it, and I go into detail, but yeah, it's all good stuff.

salukulady
03-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I get noticed from time to time. Heck, Jake Shimabukuro commented on my UU t-shirt at the concert last night...Jon, you're such a name dropper.....

My favorite comment regarding my hoodie, "You REALLY play the ukulele?"

bbycrts
03-17-2010, 04:34 AM
Jon, you're such a name dropper.....

It's not often I have an experience where I get to drop a name...give me my moment in the sun, wouldja? :)

salukulady
03-17-2010, 04:44 AM
It's not often I have an experience where I get to drop a name...give me my moment in the sun, wouldja? :)No problem........

bigploch
03-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Damn I am jealous. I am tall 6' 5" and am hesitant to order a shirt because they usually become belly shirts on me. (My bulging gut doesn't help matters on that front LOL.) I wear hoodies constantly and would love one of each. You guys think they would be long enough. What brand/type of t-shirt is it?

hoosierhiver
03-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Some people in town know I sell ukes and I wear my UU t's alot. Lately I've heard "You are the Ukulele Underground guy."

UKISOCIETY
03-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I wore my green UU Tee to work today for St. Patrick's day. The receptionist said "Cool name! Is that your group?"

Of course I said yes..

Rod
03-17-2010, 05:58 AM
...Heck, Jake Shimabukuro commented on my UU t-shirt at the concert last night...

Me too! Notice the "OG" UU shirt! ;)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/_rodg_/myspace/ukulele/DSC05156_e.jpg

wickedwahine11
03-17-2010, 06:09 AM
What brand/type of t-shirt is it?

My green UU shirt is a Gildan brand tshirt, but my brown UU tshirt is a Fruit of the Loom shirt (the brown one is older than my green one). Both of my hoodies are Gildan brand.

sealcove
03-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Damn I am jealous. I am tall 6' 5" and am hesitant to order a shirt because they usually become belly shirts on me. (My bulging gut doesn't help matters on that front LOL.) I wear hoodies constantly and would love one of each. You guys think they would be long enough. What brand/type of t-shirt is it?

I am 6'4" and a reasonably big guy (225lbs). The XL UU shirt fits me quite well, and there is plenty of length.

bigploch
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM
I am 6'4" and a reasonably big guy (225lbs). The XL UU shirt fits me quite well, and there is plenty of length.

Awesome. I'll have to order one up.

Skottoman
03-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Best comment I've gotten was from a lady in a quilt shop (my wife likes to quilt)...

"Ukulele Underground eh.... sounds kind of sinister!"

Yah, I'm involved in the Ukulele Mafia, and we're keeping it underground. haha...

I think in the month or so I've had the hoodie and shirt, I've gotten at least 10 comments. amazing, it's never happened when I wear any other kind of hoodie.

Oh, and the UU guys wrote all over my reciept they sent with my Hoodie and shirt. Drew pictures and stuff. Makes it more fun that way. I should have taken a pic.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Andruke
03-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know if they're going to replenish the out of stock hoodies?

casarole45
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I've had one comment on my cap, "wow, its amazing how two random words can sound so cool together". Obviously then I had to explain... "THESE ARE NOT RANDOM WORDS, THESE ARE THE GATEWAY TO A WORLD OF SEX UKE'S AND ROCK AND ROLL"... well thats not quite what I said... but you get the jist.

... but I love wearing my UU's (hmm looks like ascii art for 'I love wearing my boobs'... but I digress).... where was I???... yes I love wearing my UU's so that one day I may have a chance encounter with another UU goer in the UK... we shall look at eachothers shirts and silently embrace.

phanzo
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Heck, Jake Shimabukuro commented on my UU t-shirt at the concert last night...

gah! get over yourself!!!

:D

phanzo
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Me too! Notice the "OG" UU shirt! ;)
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd244/_rodg_/myspace/ukulele/DSC05156_e.jpg

That IS OG. Nice brutha!!

I like the red lettereing on the brown shirts a lot more than the all white...wish theyd go back

phanzo
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Some people in town know I sell ukes and I wear my UU t's alot. Lately I've heard "You are the Ukulele Underground guy."

haha "NOOOOOOO I'm the Mainland guy....come buy one!!"

Speaking of...I came home from work last night and my girlfriend had my Mainland poster framed and hung on our bedroom wall. Looks awesome!!

sukie
03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I wore my green UU Tee to work today for St. Patrick's day.

Me too. But everyone is so used to seeing my UU hoodie that no one even comments any more.

slapbass
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Hell...My tshirts are 3xl...Its like a walking billboard for this site!!!!

Melissa82
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Nope, no one says anything.

One of the movers was taking inventory of my items and asked what instruments were in the cases. I said ukulele's. He looked at me like he had no idea what a ukulele was and asked me how to spell it...

bigploch
03-18-2010, 01:54 AM

One of the movers was taking inventory of my items and asked what instruments were in the cases. I said ukulele's. He looked at me like he had no idea what a ukulele was and asked me how to spell it...

I can understand not being able to spell it, but not even knowing what it was??? Wow.

Gaby
03-18-2010, 02:03 AM
What does one wear in a music shop? Well, an Ukulele Underground shirt always works and is a great conversation starter! I also ordered some uke shirts via Cafe Press, so any day can be a uke shirt day...

bbycrts
03-18-2010, 04:53 AM
What does one wear in a music shop? Well, an Ukulele Underground shirt always works and is a great conversation starter! I also ordered some uke shirts via Cafe Press, so any day can be a uke shirt day...

I have six ukulele shirts...two UU, two Ukulele Hero, one Kanile'a, and one Twin Cities Ukulele Orchestra...and you're right - every day is uke shirt day!

tad
03-18-2010, 05:00 AM

I took my reso uke into Guitar Center once, and the guy who insisted on inspecting it at the door looked at it all confused and said, "man, that is one weird-looking guitar."

ethanjoshua51
06-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Well, I like to wear UU clothes, Because my mother is a well known Long Island watercolour artist as well as being a lifelong UU, She just had an art show at a fellowship on LI and she has some of her UU inspired clothing.

mds725
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM

You're moving?

mds725
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM

http://gildan.com/distributors/catalog/productSpecs.cfm?lang=en&id_catalog=en&id_product=18500

Measurement (inches)
Size..............Width....Length

Small...............20.........26
Medium............22.........27
Large...............24.........28
X-Large...........26..........29
2X-Large.........28..........30
3X-Large.........30..........31
4X-Large.........32..........32
5X-Large.........34..........33

Melissa82
06-02-2010, 04:01 AM
You're moving?Yeah, like in March, lol.

brickerenator
06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Inner Harbor, Baltimore MD

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r430/elkcloner/30868_1427086991316_1057024831_1213.jpg

Mim
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I took my reso uke into Guitar Center once, and the guy who insisted on inspecting it at the door looked at it all confused and said, "man, that is one weird-looking guitar."

Hahaha! Since most people come into my shop for ice cream, not ukuleles, I get, "Mommy! Mommy! Look at the cute baby guitar!" And usually the reply is either, "Yes that is a cute baby guitar" or "No honey, that is not a guitar. (pause and stare at them) I really don't know WHAT that is!" Haha!

The good thing about it is I am spreading Uke knowledge to those who "really dont know what it is!" Haha!

bigploch
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Inner Harbor, Baltimore MD

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r430/elkcloner/30868_1427086991316_1057024831_1213.jpg

Ahhh, Baltimore's beautiful World Trade Center. Coming from Hard Rock, Aquarium, and ESPNZone?

JIKvig
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
For some reason, I get all my comments on the airport....

JT_Ukes
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I got a "Hey my boyfriend plays Ukulele! comment when checking out at Publix with my UU t-shirt on.

Chris Tarman
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I haven't yet bought a UU shirt (YET), but I saw a guy wearing an "Ukulele Hero" shirt a couple of weeks ago on the other side of Colorado, and I commented about it to him, telling him I also played. He smiled, but didn't actually seem all that interested!

ukulelearp
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I haven't yet bought a UU shirt (YET), but I saw a guy wearing an "Ukulele Hero" shirt a couple of weeks ago on the other side of Colorado, and I commented about it to him, telling him I also played. He smiled, but didn't actually seem all that interested!

Haha, maybe because I think those shirts are supposed to be a joke.

Skottoman
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
There was a crazy Homeless guy standing in the middle of the driving lane of a parking lot I was at. I was walking across it. The guy was yelling profanities at every car that came by him, shaking his fists, screaming, jumping around... I started to turn to walk away from his area to avoid him, and he saw me. I was wearing my UU shirt. I thought I was going to be verbally assaulted by a crazy homeless guy, but he looked at me, and my shirt and said "Hi-ya Ukulele guy" in a normal tone of voice. Then wandered off talking to himself.

The POWER of UU clothes. Turning angry, yelling, crazy homeless LSD trippers, into normal, polite gentlemen. Hahaa....

Cheers,
Skottoman

Chris Tarman
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM

Well, yeah, but I asked if he played ukulele, and he said yes. He just didn't seem much like he wanted to talk about it to some complete stranger.

bbycrts
06-07-2010, 07:27 PM

I have two Ukulele Hero t-shirts. I don't wear them as a joke. I wore one on the way to UWC last Thursday and wore the other on the way back from UWC yesterday - I got lots of very very nice comments. Of course, I was carrying my uke in its case, too (and the case has a Ukulele Hero sticker on it as well), so I think people realize I mean it...

mishidpfoc
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Hi there
I also want to purchase UU t-shirt can anyone suggest me from where i can buy good UU t-shirt

brickerenator
06-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Ahhh, Baltimore's beautiful World Trade Center. Coming from Hard Rock, Aquarium, and ESPNZone?

Actually from Noodles & Co. I was there for a conference.

Skottoman
06-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Hi there
I also want to purchase UU t-shirt can anyone suggest me from where i can buy good UU t-shirt

You can get them at the UU store.

http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/

Gillian
06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I make my own ukulele t-shirts because I'm cheap.

Get a white t-shirt (50/50 polycotton is the best) and a pack of t-shirt transfer sheets. Choose an interesting font or download one, (the "got milk?" font is called Phenix American). Design and size it using some graphics program and print it out making sure the printer is set for t-shirt transfer so it mirrors the image, then follow the t-shirt transfer sheet instructions for ironing it on.

Here's one I designed in 10 minutes.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/gillyflower54/uke-shirt.jpg