How do you know the strumming pattern for chords?

MrBen

Reaction score
I get that it tells you what note to play, but how are you suppose to know how to strum it?

There are no set rules about strumming patterns. One factor to keep in mind is knowing the song; like the rhythm and tempo. I would suggest a simple strumming pattern at first to become familiar with the song and melody. Once you get comfortable with the chord changes and tempo, you can start changing up the strum.

You're missing out on some great American music then! haha.

But I meant when the note is above the word, is that when you start plying that note?

That's usually the case, until you encounter some badly written notation. No wait, you already have.

Blame it on variable letter spacing and trying to use a word processor instead of a proper notation program. You'll just have to listen to the song and try to play along to hear where to really put the chord changes.

There are no set rules about strumming patterns. One factor to keep in mind is knowing the song; like the rhythm and tempo. I would suggest a simple strumming pattern at first to become familiar with the song and melody. Once you get comfortable with the chord changes and tempo, you can start changing up the strum.

To add to this: there's an assumption that some people pick up early on that you have to always strum all the strings all the the time. You don't. Experiment with different songs.

In general, when the song comes first (vocals) and you're using the instrument to carry the song vs. compete with it or push through vocals things work out better.

What you're calling "notes" are actually chords. Those letters are telling you when to switch to a new chord.

Often, the chord change will occur at the same time you sing a particular word. So these types of chord charts will put that new chord over the word.

But sometimes you change a chord when there is no signing. So you can't put the chord over any particular word. You have to put it "out in space" somewhere, after the word that comes before it, but before the word that comes after it. (The idea is that you sort of know how the song goes, and can figure out when to switch chords without any reference to a word.)

JJ

the way to really get the strumming of a song is to just feel it.
try to, and eventually you'll start to get it a little.
as you play longer you will get a better conception for what strums to use on what songs. not only that, but the longer you play the more strum variations you'll just naturally "feel" and find yourself playing. for me, the strum portion of learning the uke was all about self discovery. sure, some random book or teacher can tell you to go down down up up down, but i think thats next to useless if you don't actually FEEL that tempo, beat, and strum.
good luck in learning one of the most fun instruments out there!

also

what you are learning is a chording to a song... NOT a tab.
tabs are a little more advanced and you'll get there in a bit, but for now i would say just stick to chords.
so, i thought i should mention that in that song and many others on ukulele-tabs.com the chords switches are off...
it may say to change to a chord, but not fit at ALL.
my advice with ANY online tab is to look at them skeptically.
i have gotten pleanty of tabs from the internet, but hardly any that did't need real editing first.
you really have to check to make sure they are right, as they seldom are.

Those chords in space are transition chords (I think I've learned that correctly) that lead you from one chord at the end of a lyric line to the next chord in the song.. your ear likes the way the transition sounds .. and they may be only played for a strum or 2.. I had trouble with these at first.. listen to a song you know well (I like Under the Boardwalk for this example) and see how the transition leads you from one chord to another .. once you feel this.. most other songs follow with practice, practice.. Dr. Uke has a good piece on natural chord progressions

Hi Mr Ben,

Ukulele Mike on youtube is a great starting point. He has tons of songs and walks you through each one. Once you get the hang of playing a couple, you'll find that reading chords comes much easier and you'll be able to "feel" where the chords are supposed to change. Its different for every song! Look for good tutorials on youtube and practice!

d2ny

Thanks for all the help guys!

I'll go search Ukulele Mike right now...

Top Bottom