Got my KoAloha Concert!

iDavid

Reaction score
My new KoAloha concert came in the mail a few days ago and I've been to busy playing it to post :cool:

It is the finest instrument I have ever played. The intonation is so spot on that the chords just ring on harmoniously. It is also the most responsive instrument I have played. The workmanship is perfect. And I know it didn't happen until I post pics, so they will be coming this week end. I got the model with satin finish and this baby has one fast neck. We have already had family sing-alongs with it and it can put out plenty of volume to keep up with all of us.

I have mixed feelings about the Worth clear strings. I ordered some Browns to mellow the high and add some warmth. The dynamic range on this Uke is amazing and I have to learn to control it. Any suggestions would be appreciate. Seems the Worths has a a bunch or options, but I am not clear which will work on a concert.

I cannot get over how easy it is to play. I even had my wife give it ago and she could play chords that had eluded her on the other ukes we have.

This definitely has become my main instrument. It is as light as a feather, balanced, and a joy to play standing, classical sitting, or over my lap like a gee-tar.

I think I will have a few ukes to sell in the next few weeks. I have become spoiled really quickly and am not playing the Mainland or Ohana. I do have to say, that for the price they are both wonderful Ukes. However, John was right when he said that the KoAloha is at an entirely different level.

The biggest surprise is the friction tuners, cuz they work really well. They take a lighter touch to adjust, but they hold tune extremely well.

A big thanks to MGM, for answering tons of questions and helping me pick a great instrument. Seems all the Mike's are just great to deal with.

Brian at KoAloha also answered a bunch of question and was a big reason for me going with KoAloha.

THIS UKE IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!

See? KoAloha lovers aren't kidding. Glad you like it.

I have mixed feelings about the Worth clear strings. I ordered some Browns to mellow the high and add some warmth. The dynamic range on this Uke is amazing and I have to learn to control it. Any suggestions would be appreciate. Seems the Worths has a a bunch or options, but I am not clear which will work on a concert.

I have a KoAloha superconcert and a Pineapple Sunday. I was unhappy with the (KoAloha?) clear strings they came with, so strung the PS with Fremont Black Line strings and love the sound. I feel the sound is less "shrill" than I was getting with the clear strings; the Fremonts produce a richer sound. Plus, the black strings look very good against the koa. I've now switched the superconcert to Black Lines and am just as pleased with the result.

I have a KoAloha superconcert and a Pineapple Sunday. I was unhappy with the (KoAloha?) clear strings they came with, so strung the PS with Fremont Black Line strings and love the sound. I feel the sound is less "shrill" than I was getting with the clear strings; the Fremonts produce a richer sound. Plus, the black strings look very good against the koa. I've now switched the superconcert to Black Lines and am just as pleased with the result.

I'll go order a set now. I see they have a couple versions. Which ones did you get, the "stand" blackline? They have a hard tension set

I've got Aquilla strings on four of my five KoAlohas. The Super Concert still has the KoAloha/Worth strings that came on it. I just ordered a set of tenor high G Aquillas from MGM to put on it. I've tried D'Addario Pro Arte, black Hilo, Ko'olau Gold, Worth Brown and Worth Clear and Aquilla on my KoAlohas and so far, like the feel and tone of the Aquillas the best.

Jude

Last edited:
Good to know. I have a set of Aquilla's waiting. How is the tone difference with them on?

I may just put the set on tomorrow

Last edited:
Congrats, David!

I really like the original strings on my KoAloha concertand soprano and haven't changed them yet. Have Aquila strings on my Lehua and have ordered some Freemont Black Line HT for my Kamaka.

Enjoy your new uke!

Kinda looks like "different strokes for different folks" as far as string choice. iDavid, you'll just have to try them all.:)

Jude

I'll have my KoAloha Pikake Concert in my hands next week. Its sitting at my friend's house as we speak.

Congrats on the new uke! I took the day off since my new KoAloha Concert from MGM is to be delivered today.

My new KoAloha concert came in the mail a few days ago and I've been to busy playing it to post :cool:

It is the finest instrument I have ever played. The intonation is so spot on that the chords just ring on harmoniously. It is also the most responsive instrument I have played. The workmanship is perfect. And I know it didn't happen until I post pics, so they will be coming this week end. I got the model with satin finish and this baby has one fast neck. We have already had family sing-alongs with it and it can put out plenty of volume to keep up with all of us.

I cannot get over how easy it is to play. I even had my wife give it ago and she could play chords that had eluded her on the other ukes we have.

This definitely has become my main instrument. It is as light as a feather, balanced, and a joy to play standing, classical sitting, or over my lap like a gee-tar.

I think I will have a few ukes to sell in the next few weeks. I have become spoiled really quickly and am not playing the Mainland or Ohana. I do have to say, that for the price they are both wonderful Ukes. However, John was right when he said that the KoAloha is at an entirely different level.

The biggest surprise is the friction tuners, cuz they work really well. They take a lighter touch to adjust, but they hold tune extremely well.

A big thanks to MGM, for answering tons of questions and helping me pick a great instrument. Seems all the Mike's are just great to deal with.

Brian at KoAloha also answered a bunch of question and was a big reason for me going with KoAloha.

THIS UKE IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I do not hate to say this, but I told you so:)

I still like my Mele and I am waiting receipt of two mainlands which I enjoy as well. These will be my travel ukes and they won't ever replace my koalohas. Koalohas are just the best.

I felt the same way when I got my super soprano. I just put Worth Browns on and it fixed that problem IMO.

Hey David, welcome to the club! As I mentioned before in my PM to you, I think that worth browns and the Pikake concert are a marriage made in heaven. At least they are for me. Mine are mediums.

I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but then again, who wouldn't be?

My KoAloha Concert from MGM was finally delivered and much anticipation today. I had never seen a koa uke before and this thing is stunning! MGM's pics of it did not do it justice. It's taking a little time to get used to as my other playable ukes (I'm fixing up a really lightweight all mahogany Harmony Concert) are sopranos and there is so much more fingerboard room but it is already easier to play some barred chords and the intonation is spot on. Very bright sound and I can see why others are recommending Worth Brown strings, but I'm going to wait awhile and get used to it before changing anything.

I'm listening and will stick with what came on it for now.

I won't change any of my koaloha strings. I have worth clears on two of mine (actually worth ones) and I have the koaloha ones on my other two. I love them. I ahve thought about trying other strings (Browns, guadalupe, salverez, etc...but not aquilas (make koalohas sound like imports imo)) but i just can't get myself to take them off.

Top Bottom