Recording is hard!

rvabdn

Reaction score
I've been trying my hand at some recording recently. And it's definitely shown me I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was. I guess it's a good learning tool though as I can learn from my mistakes.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the microphone though. I bought a Blue Snowball USB mic and I've stuck it on a boom stand so I can position it anywhere but no matter what I do I always pick up my own breathing.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for recording with this sort of mic. I've seen quite a few people on youtube using the snowball and they seem to get much better results than me. I'm guessing there might be something I can do on the software side. I'm using audacity right now.

Any advice on recording would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, recording is hard, but the more your do it the better you'll become at it.

I don't know the Snowball and audacity, but with the software I use, I play around with Compressors, EQ, Reverb, and Chorus and that helps getting a better sound. Enjoy!

For just recording my uke (and not my singing at the same time), I do two things with my Snowball:

1. Set the switch on the back to the first position.
  2. Aim the mic a bit off-axis. I point it more toward the neck of the uke than the body.

I have no idea if that's the best way to do it or not. It's just what I do. YMMV.

JJ

Top Bottom