fleas in the UK

snowy_zoe

Reaction score
Hello beautiful people

This may have been covered at some point I've tried searching with with no luck.

I'm thinking of buying a flea - I would ideally like a flea with a concert neck however I'm having trouble finding these in the UK. Does anyone know of any suppliers. I would consider buying one from the states however my dad bought a harmonica recently and had to pay an extra £11 because it was an import - I'm assuming it would be more for a larger more expensive product.

I've seen a couiple of soprano fleas on ebay.co.uk but that's all.

Am I missing something?

thanks

zoe

yeah i was going to recommend the southern ukulele store, i think but i am not sure that they are a division of music is life music who have a 2 shops in Boscombe near Bournemouth, both the shops have an excellent selection of ukes including flea and fluke. you can even try out an overpriced martin. I guess the other place would be duke of uke in hanbury street london.

Yes you do. :(

I've bought a fairly pricey uke from France and America and haven't been charged import... so I'm not even sure if its something they charge on... anyone been charged import on one yet?

.... oh and Exquisite do have a good range, and they were really helpful with me aftersales wise... which is when it counts.

i got my fluke secondhand in a guitar shop, got it cheap as the guy wanted his wall space back for propper guitars

i know hanks used to sell them but i ave heard a rumour that the shop has gone from denmark st

I imported one uke from Hawaii and one from mainland USA and both got stopped at DHL at the docks with duty to pay. Just unlucky I guess.

thanks for the info everyone
I think I'll keep my eyes open on the uk sites and wait and save for a bit. I'm thinking maybe instead of getting a concert flea just going for a fluke - oh decision, decisions

I don't want to assume I won't have to pay for an import then get a nasty shock when it arrives

thanks all
zoe

thanks for the info everyone
I think I'll keep my eyes open on the uk sites and wait and save for a bit. I'm thinking maybe instead of getting a concert flea just going for a fluke - oh decision, decisions

I don't want to assume I won't have to pay for an import then get a nasty shock when it arrives

thanks all
zoe
i didnt like the flukes shape, i only played it in the shop to see what it sounded like, but when i did i had to have it , it feels and plays like a dream .
i recommend getting one

OK LISTEN UP. i am about to save you money on import duty. There is no import duty on gifts. So, ask the vendor to write gift clearly on the customs ticket and voila.

Grammy, you should check if there is a limit to the value of gifts. Here in Germany it's at 40€, and that includes (!) shipping. The customs guys are understandably quite strict about that. I don't know how on the ball they are about ukuleles, but maybe one could sneak by under the "toy guitar" cover. But then you're screwed if the officer in question is musically inclined. Another option I have heard people talk about is having the vendor "lower" the price tag on the customs tag, with a note that says "factory second" or "used". But be advised that that's pretty much illegal for both parties, the vendor and the recipient, and is usually persecuted akin to tax evasion. Again, it all depends on how strict the authorities are. I think it's usually a good idea to pay a bit of import, but try and stay under the full amount. It's attempting to get away without paying anything that gets people busted.

And Zoe: You don't have to pay import when it's from withing the EU, right? But then again, it probably won't be much cheaper than odering straight from the US.

OK LISTEN UP. i am about to save you money on import duty. There is no import duty on gifts. So, ask the vendor to write gift clearly on the customs ticket and voila.
Unfortunately there is in the UK. Merchandise valued over £18 and items marked as "gifts" valued over £36 have to pay duty on them as well as a £8-£12 handling charge.
This has happened to me when I bought some items from America that were only £10 over the limit and it was a painful experience.

If you buy from a country within the EU you won't have to pay VAT though so buying from France for example would be fine.

Top Bottom