Warning for people buying their first fancy Uke!

ukefett

Reaction score
So at the beginning of this week I got a new Mainland, before that I only had a little cheapo $50 soprano. I tried to do my research and learn as much as I could before buying it and saw nothing but good things but there was one thing no one warned me of and I feel like I should let people know. Since I got it I can not stop playing it, I have put off homework assignments, going to the gym, cleaning my house, etc....
Thankfully spring break is coming soon so I can have some more time to spend on it without feeling like I am putting too much off but first time buyers beware! These are dangerous little things!

attachment.php

(Its not really discolored like the picture makes it look like, the pic was edited on my phone)

This is a general 'warning' to anyone whenever they get a 'new' uke.

I hope your obsession 'never' slacks... except enough for you to get
through school, settle down, raise a family (of uke players, of course).

Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Thanks,

Yep addiction is a dangerous bed fellow - Just say no , no, no, no, apply yourself to studies. Give up beer and women, and your uke and aim for A+ assignment marks.

Alternatively play the uke, smile and be happy. You may end up parctising the phrase "do you want fries with that?" but your uke will win the day . Be carefull

JUST SAY NO!

Stew

Mmmmm..........fries

Yep addiction is a dangerous bed fellow - Just say no , no, no, no, apply yourself to studies. Give up beer and women, and your uke and aim for A+ assignment marks.

Or multitask! Uke while you study! That's what I do. (True story.)

I'm not so sure about playing while cleaning, but adding the uke to everything else could probably go off without a hitch. (Mim has already demonstrated that the ukulele can be played on a treadmill, so no excuses. ;))

And yay, congrats on your Mainland!

haha... this took me a minute to get, but when i did i laughed out loud (in class no less).
this "warning" is so true... but it applies to more then just playing the ukulele.
ever since i've gotten MINE i not only can't stop playing it when i get the chance, but even when i'm doing something else, i find myself doing something uke-related (like going on ukuleleunderground in class, or humming the song you're listening no matter WHERE you are)
:D
despite these apparent "dangers" i think we should forge on and play the uke (even though i admit my gym attendance has gone down as well).
happy uke-ing everyone!!!
play on!

Or multitask! Uke while you study! That's what I do. (True story.)!

That's the new plan, I am doing my student teaching right now and I am going to spend the next three months teaching about WW2 to the 80's. I figure that I will try to incorporate Uke songs into the lessons, some examples of the kind of music that people listened to at the time. Plus it should put the kids in a good mood in the morning!

Last term when I was teaching about the Constitution at a middle school I tried to learn the song "I'm just a bill" It was easy enough to play and I pretty much had it down but in the end I just couldn't get the timing right during the talking for some reason.

apparently my neighbors next door can hear me playing uke every time they are in the toilet.... well most people would love to have so much classyness as to be serenaded on the can =D

Your future students will thank you. I play my pink dolphin in class almost everyday, and they love it.

Congrats, neighbor.

Good thing you're not married or someone might feel neglected.

That's the new plan, I am doing my student teaching right now and I am going to spend the next three months teaching about WW2 to the 80's.

That sounds... so SLOW. Last semester I led undergrads from Sumeria to the fall of the Berlin Wall in fifteen weeks. Western Civ is a killer.

This semester I'm TAing History of Animation, though. WAY more fun.

I would broaden this warning, it's not just fancy ukes. None of mine would qualify as fancy and only one cost more than $100, but I "suffer" from the same afliction!

Top Bottom