While we're talking binding, a purfling question

curlykoa

Reaction score
Good morning Builders,

I'm working on binding and purfling right now, working by hand using the Schneider Gramil tool sold by LMI. What I do with it cannot be described as "an easy pulling motion, in a few minutes", but then...at least half of any tool is the OPERATOR.

I HAVE managed to scribe the binding line and the purfling line. I used a razor blade to remove wood to the depth of my cut for the purfling and taped the purfling around the resultant "ledge" to give it "memory" of the shape. So far, marginally, so good.

QUESTION: What will the thickness of the finished purfling be? Right now, my ledge is a whisker, maybe a 64th of an inch while the purfling as it comes is thicker than the top it is to go on, so it is quite "proud" of the top.

SECOND QUESTION: Being more interested in the look than ease of application, I chose a fine herringbone purfling pattern. I was amazed I could bend it around the bouts and waist without it snapping. How about taking it down to the ultimate "just a whisker" thickness? Can it be sanded with say a 150 grit? Or should I try to take it down using a scraper?

Thank you for feedback.

wow...1/64th is pretty thin. It should be fine but you gotta be REALLY careful sanding the top. You might sand right through in spots if your top has a high spot or you roll off the edge with the sander.
For herringbone I would sand it down flush after installing it. I tried using a plane once and it pulled a couple of the little pieces right out...I dunno if the little pieces are the herrings or the bones yuk yuk yuk.

Top Bottom