PDA

View Full Version : Gigapus

nomis
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I got my first uke (a Kala Archtop) a few months ago and I've barely put it down since, but now I'd like to get one of these GIGAPUS that everyone's talking about. Can anyone tell me the best place in London (UK) to get one? I've heard that they're more common in the States but surely there must be some available in the UK.

sukie
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't think I understand the question. And I'm a GIGAPUS.

casarole45
03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
then your what he's looking for, only a uk edition =D

ukefett
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Would a singular one be a Gigapu since the S is for society? I really hope so cause now I want to write a song called My boo the Gigapu.

And I wish they were more common here in the states, I would mind finding one as well.

mds725
03-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi,

I got my first uke (a Kala Archtop) a few months ago and I've barely put it down since, but now I'd like to get one of these GIGAPUS that everyone's talking about. Can anyone tell me the best place in London (UK) to get one? I've heard that they're more common in the States but surely there must be some available in the UK.

Thanks to the magic of YouTube, you can "get" GIGAPUS wherever you can get online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbSNZX_zrIE

ukulelezo
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Would a singular one be a Gigapu since the S is for society? I really hope so cause now I want to write a song called My boo the Gigapu.

And I wish they were more common here in the states, I would mind finding one as well.

Oh please write a song called "My boo the Gigapu"?! That would be so great!

We do not currently have a mail order GIGAPU service but, feel free to join our group and maybe you can meet a UK GIGAPU that way? :)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=97

ukefett
03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh please write a song called "My boo the Gigapu"?! That would be so great!

We do not currently have a mail order GIGAPU service but, feel free to join our group and maybe you can meet a UK GIGAPU that way? :)

I'm not the original poster but If you could slap some glasses on Sophie Madeleine and send her my way I would be more than grateful, she would work as a UK GIGAPU. But then again I am all the way over in Oregon and the shipping charges would be outrageous. (and I'm already a member of your group, how you can you not support the GIGAPUS?)

And I accept your challenge to write that! I haven't been playing that long so writing will be a challenge but it will be good to have a focus. (I've only tried writing one other time and it didn't turn out so hot, the opening line was "went to your house, tryin to woo ya, you misunderstood, thought I was tryin to do ya"...so don't expect to much! :) )

Ukeffect
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Now the Real question is what is a group called? I vote for a "Giggle"....and the multiple form should be Gigapie...so a "Giggle of Gigapu" or a "Giggle of Gigapie"?
:anyone:

nomis
03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
@ukefett
I'm not greedy, I'm not looking for an entire flock of Gigapi - Just a single solitary Gigapu. Also, in the UK I'm not sure what the legal stance is on multiple Gigapu. I was hoping someone could tell me if they gather together in secret places at certain times of the year in order to find a mate. (I might be getting confused with penguins)

@mds725
Yes the video shows a magnificent example of the Lesser Spotted Gigapu. Fantastic glasses, great uke and amazing plumage. And you can tell this is a genuine Gigapu and not a cheap import because it has the Gigapus label. I would love one just like this but I fear this species is not found in Europe.

I would hate to cause offense, but i would like to make clear that my personal Gigapu preference leans a little away from the example below:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8172&d=1261579888

sukie
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
@
I would hate to cause offense, but i would like to make clear that my personal Gigapu preference leans a little away from the example below:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8172&d=1261579888

Quite frankly, you could do worse.

UKISOCIETY
03-17-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P0w36fR878

casarole45
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
lol, well done you've just created the first video of what is now another internet fetish... rack up those credit card memberships

Lori
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I suggest you could build your own. Find a likely and willing candidate, perhaps just a female with glasses, and introduce her to the ukulele. Voila! Instant Gigapus. Or, you could find a ukulady sans glasses, and just wait... eventually she will need glasses. Are you a BIGAPUS? That might help your chances. Do you play your ukulele outside, or in public? It will increase your chances if they can zone in on your location by ear.

–Lori

ricdoug
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
I was gonna' start a club like that for guys, but it came out with the same name:

Guys in glasses and playing ukulele Society.

I wear reading glasses to read music in anything but bright sunlight. Ric

Ahnko Honu
03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Just so you know... this is NOT a Gigapus.

http://www.disneyclips.com/imagesnewb4/imageslwrakr01/clipursula31.gif

StevieC
03-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi,

You could always try looking here:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?27792-One-Day-Ukulele-Mini-Fest-UK-Sunday-18th-April-2010

grammy
03-18-2010, 02:25 AM
my own strategy has been to buy my GIG a uke and encourage her to play it, although i suspect that a random GIGAPU discovery is more satisfying from a hunter seeker thrill of the chase point of view.

StevieC
03-18-2010, 03:01 AM
my own strategy has been to buy my GIG a uke and encourage her to play it, although i suspect that a random GIGAPU discovery is more satisfying from a hunter seeker thrill of the chase point of view.

I've been trying that but haven't as yet met with much success! Any tips?

Dirka
03-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Guys in glasses and playing ukulele Society.

Lets do it! :nana:

Skrik
03-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Lets do it! :nana:

I prefer Fellows in glasses and playing ukulele Society. FIGAPUS

That sounds pretty suspect, actually. For any GIGAPUs reading this, it's a rotten lie!

Dirka
03-18-2010, 03:34 AM
I prefer Fellows in glasses and playing ukulele Society. FIGAPUS

That sounds pretty suspect, actually. For any GIGAPUs reading this, it's a rotten lie!

Aah, the possibilities:

BIGAPUS (Blokes)
CIGAPUS (Chaps)
DIGAPUS (Dudes)
FIGAPUS (Fellows)
GIGAPUS (Gentlemen)
MIGAPUS (Men)

kenikas
03-18-2010, 04:15 AM
I've got a GIG but I can't get her to APU! Just shows no interest, even when I try tempting her with my new pineapple. I just don't get it! Any ideas?

Paul December
03-18-2010, 04:19 AM

Quite frankly, you could do worse.

:( I have. It was the early 80's, I was on vacation and was drunk at the time. I'd prefer not to talk about it.

Ukeffect
03-18-2010, 04:58 AM
I suggest you could build your own. Find a likely and willing candidate, perhaps just a female with glasses, and introduce her to the ukulele. Voila! Instant Gigapus. Or, you could find a ukulady sans glasses, and just wait... eventually she will need glasses. Are you a BIGAPUS? That might help your chances. Do you play your ukulele outside, or in public? It will increase your chances if they can zone in on your location by ear.

–Lori

Hey Lori...I understand (from a reliable source) that sunglasses count when identifying the rare and shy Gigapu!

SailQwest
03-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey Lori...I understand (from a reliable source) that sunglasses count when identifying the rare and shy Gigapu!

Sunglasses do count according to Zoe, our lovely and talented leader. It was the only way I could join. :p

Skitzic
03-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Draw glasses on a female uker while she's sleeping...she'll never know.

nomis
03-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Can anyone tell me, if I were to locate a basic run-of-the-mill GPU, is there any way of accelerating the IG process. Could i perhaps add (or indeed omit) any elements from her diet. I hear that carrots are very good for the eyes so should i perhaps discourage the consumption of carrots? Actually I've heard that carrots (and indeed all fruits and vegetables) are carcinogenic.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/963/bc8369001.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/bc8369001.jpg/)

Lori
03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Sunglasses do count according to Zoe, our lovely and talented leader. It was the only way I could join. :p

I guess I qualify as a GIGAPUS, since I need glasses to read music, and I have almost no memorized songs. I would also be a GIGAC (Girls in Glasses at Computer), but the rest of the time no glasses except sunglasses (which are needed 95% of the time outside/daytime here). I think there are some out there that are wearing contact lenses, and could easily become a GIGAPUS if encouraged enough. You never know where you might find one.

–Lori

Jason Paul
03-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I've got a GIG. My problem is with the APU part.:rolleyes:

Jason

brickerenator
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Aah, the possibilities:

BIGAPUS (Blokes)
CIGAPUS (Chaps)
DIGAPUS (Dudes)
FIGAPUS (Fellows)
GIGAPUS (Gentlemen)
MIGAPUS (Men)

Dudes In Khakis And Playing Ukulele Society

mailman
03-18-2010, 08:31 AM
I guess I qualify as a GIGAPUS, since I need glasses to read music, and I have almost no memorized songs. I would also be a GIGAC (Girls in Glasses at Computer), but the rest of the time no glasses except sunglasses (which are needed 95% of the time outside/daytime here). I think there are some out there that are wearing contact lenses, and could easily become a GIGAPUS if encouraged enough. You never know where you might find one.

–Lori

Ah, the rare and elusive Stealth GIGAPU! Often mistaken for the more common GPU, but a fine catch, indeed!

I've got a fine GIG....no hope for the PU.

grammy
03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
my own strategy has been to buy my GIG a uke and encourage her to play it,

Orgasms and chocolate. as motivators these never fail.

seeso
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm planning on setting a trap for the leader at UWC. What shall I use as bait? Any ideas?

Maybe I'll just lay a trail of chocolate to a big hole in the ground.

sukie
03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Draw glasses on a female uker while she's sleeping...she'll never know.

Too funny...

Skitzic
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm planning on setting a trap for the leader at UWC. What shall I use as bait? Any ideas?

I would do the stick weave. Weave a bunch of sticks over a hole, and put a Dolphin in the center. The sticks will be strong enough to hold the uke, but break when she steps on it. Then she can play while she's waiting to be saved (if she doesn't land on it that is).

mailman
03-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Just grow the mustache back, Seeso. Then maybe she'll chase you until you catch her....

Zukester
03-18-2010, 09:42 AM
I didn't even know I was a gigapus until a few minutes ago, are we that rare?

seeso
03-18-2010, 09:44 AM
A gaggle of gigapi:

http://imgur.com/UtEOQ.jpg

mailman
03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Rare, exotic, and highly sought after....

mailman
03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
A gaggle of gigapi:

http://imgur.com/UtEOQ.jpg

Not often you find them out in the open and unarmed....not a uke in sight!

seeso
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
And yet more gigapi:

http://imgur.com/b5c1a.jpg

mailman
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
How about this one for the guys....

MISAPUS (men in spectacles and playing ukulele society)

Has a nice ring to it....I nominate Seeso as leader!

Lori
03-19-2010, 08:07 AM

I think chocolate is a good start... maybe a chocolate ukulele. It would have to be dark chocolate to catch me though. The problem is, how to attract just the GIGAPUS, and not just the GPUs. Perhaps a really cute glasses frame. A pocket uke, or sopranino would do it, I think, but you would have to sort out the non GIGAPUS.

–Lori

UkuleleHill
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
But can it be GIGAPI? I mean then what would it be? maybe the plural would be GIGAPU too... Kind of like an Elk or many Elk?

Skitzic
03-19-2010, 08:24 AM
But can it be GIGAPI? I mean then what would it be? maybe the plural would be GIGAPU too... Kind of like an Elk or many Elk?

Like Deer and Deer!

I like GIGAPI. It makes me think of an octopus with a ukulele in each tentacle.

mailman
03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
GIGAPI don't have tentacles....

Skitzic
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I know that. It's just what the word GIGAPI makes me picture.

And the octopus in my head has pig tails and horn-rimmed glasses.

sukie
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
GIGAPI don't have tentacles....

Are you sure? We have something similar. Ask any husband.

ukulelezo
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
I like GIGAPI. It makes me think of an octopus with a ukulele in each tentacle.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/ukulelezo/Gigapus.jpg

Kind of like this one? :)

Lori
03-19-2010, 09:44 AM

Reminds me of the movie "Galaxy Quest". Those extra arms are good for hugging too.

–Lori

Skitzic
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM

That is the awesomest kind of awesome.

ukulelezo
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
That is the awesomest kind of awesome.

Which is the best kind of awesome.

My friend David thought we needed a mascot, so he drew one. I love it.

MikeTodd
03-19-2010, 10:25 AM
How about this one for the guys....

MISAPUS (men in spectacles and playing ukulele society)

Has a nice ring to it....I nominate Seeso as leader!

Or MINOHAPUS - Men in need of hair and playing ukulele society. There's plenty of us. In fact many of us could have dual membership of MISAPUS and MINOHAPUS.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/user/GCEAtuning

nomis
03-20-2010, 03:35 AM
I think the drawing is just amazing but I feel it my duty as an Englishman to point out the octopi is not the plural of octopus ;)

USAGE The standard English plural of octopus is octopuses. However, the word octopus comes from Greek, and the Greek plural form is octopodes ( |äkˈtäpəˌdēz|). Modern usage of octopodes is so infrequent that many people mistakenly create the erroneous plural form octopi, formed according to rules for Latin plurals. See also usage at ‘-i’ .

the52blues
03-20-2010, 04:38 AM
I think the drawing is just amazing but I feel it my duty as an Englishman to point out the octopi is not the plural of octopus ;)

And the plural for baby octopuses is octopussies...

Paul December
03-20-2010, 05:23 AM
:mad: What do you know.... you spell "color" with a "u" in it! :D

nomis
03-20-2010, 05:50 AM
You see colour is really from the French: couleur Noun, feminine colour (fig also); shade, tint, hue. I've noticed a tendency in American English to remove the French influences in the language. The French influence in Proper (English) English dates back to the Norman Conquest of Britain. One of the most obvious changes was the introduction of Anglo-Norman, a northern dialect of Old French, as the language of the ruling classes in England.

You know, I was watching one of your quaint colonial television programmes (US program) about building hot rods the other day and I actually heard a young man pronounce the word "chassis" (ORIGIN French châssis, ‘frame’.) with a "ch" sound at the beginning rather than a "sh".

What is the world coming to? ;)

Paul December
03-20-2010, 06:19 AM
You see colour is really from the French: couleur Noun, feminine colour (fig also); shade, tint, hue. I've noticed a tendency in American English to remove the French influences in the language. The French influence in Proper (English) English dates back to the Norman Conquest of Britain. One of the most obvious changes was the introduction of Anglo-Norman, a northern dialect of Old French, as the language of the ruling classes in England.

You know, I was watching one of your quaint colonial television programmes (US program) about building hot rods the other day and I actually heard a young man pronounce the word "chassis" (ORIGIN French châssis, ‘frame’.) with a "ch" sound at the beginning rather than a "sh".

What is the world coming to? ;)

:rolleyes: I can't imagine why people find British documentaries long winded and boring. :D

the52blues
03-21-2010, 06:41 AM
You can always tell an Englishman.......but you can't tell him much....

casarole45
03-21-2010, 06:56 AM
:rolleyes: I can't imagine why people find British documentaries long winded and boring. :D

lol, what do you mean, this is fasinating stuff. If you could incorporate this sorta thing into a film with say Mel Gibson (when he was awesome... leathal weapon days)... nothing could stop that rollercoaster ride. I can see him now chasing down a car (on his feet as he always did back then) blasting lead at the bad guys, whilst screaming offensive Shakespeare quotes at them.

Paul December
03-21-2010, 07:31 AM
lol, what do you mean, this is fasinating stuff. If you could incorporate this sorta thing into a film with say Mel Gibson (when he was awesome... leathal weapon days)... nothing could stop that rollercoaster ride. I can see him now chasing down a car (on his feet as he always did back then) blasting lead at the bad guys, whilst screaming offensive Shakespeare quotes at them.

:confused: What colour would the chassis be on the car he's chasing down? :D

seeso
03-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Can we please bring this thread back on topic?

http://imgur.com/I2suc.jpg

salukulady
03-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah, leave it to the guys to turn a perfectly good thread about us hot chicks in glasses into a boring thread on grammar and cars......sheesh.

I'm ordering several new pairs of glasses to sport at UWC.

Skrik
03-21-2010, 09:25 AM
:confused: What colour would the chassis be on the car he's chasing down? :D

Hey, no prepositions on the end of sentences. Try this: "What colour would the chassis be on the car down which he's chasing?"

seeso
03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Sigh, I'll try one more time.

http://imgur.com/UTe0n.jpg

Melissa82
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM

USAGE The standard English plural of octopus is octopuses. However, the word octopus comes from Greek, and the Greek plural form is octopodes ( |äkˈtäpəˌdēz|). Modern usage of octopodes is so infrequent that many people mistakenly create the erroneous plural form octopi, formed according to rules for Latin plurals. See also usage at ‘-i’ .Dude, you killed the thread. Move along now.

Sigh, I'll try one more time.

http://imgur.com/UTe0n.jpgI am here, let's keep this going.

SailorQwest
03-21-2010, 10:40 AM
http://snapcdn-zoovy-3.simplecdn.net/img/tikimaster/W640-H480-B8e7a47/ukuelele_girl.jpg

Just add Rum!

GOGAPU

nomis
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Well i may of killed the thread but then again, I also started it. In fact this inability to remain on topic is typical of the kind of brain decay that sets in when a man has been deprived of GIGAPUS for a prolonged period of time. ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/kittenkaboodle4/images/cglass.gif

Melissa82
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Well i may of killed the thread but then again, I also started it.You forgot to post a GIGAPUS with your reply. :p

mailman
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Has there ever been an official UU GIGAPUS head count? Let's see....

Zoe
Lisa
Melissa....

How many of you are there?

SailQwest
03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
http://snapcdn-zoovy-3.simplecdn.net/img/tikimaster/W640-H480-B8e7a47/ukuelele_girl.jpg

Just add Rum!

GOGAPU

Rich, it's supposed to be Girls IN Glasses, not Girls ON Glasses. ;)

StevieC
03-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Well i may of killed the thread but then again, I also started it. In fact this inability to remain on topic is typical of the kind of brain decay that sets in when a man has been deprived of GIGAPUS for a prolonged period of time. ;)

http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/kittenkaboodle4/images/cglass.gif

Probably just down to a lack of fruit and veg in your diet!

Melissa82
03-21-2010, 02:40 PM
This is going to be my halloween costume.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/5320/sexyukecop.jpg

Skitzic
03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
I am a GIGAPU.

But I can't post a photo because I'm lazy.

And I will be an ukulele playing batgirl for Halloween

sukie
03-22-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm a GIGAPU also. Reading glasses count, yes?

the52blues
03-22-2010, 04:03 AM
This is going to be my halloween costume.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/5320/sexyukecop.jpg

You could come to my house....want some candy little girl....

Ukeffect
03-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Can we please bring this thread back on topic?

http://imgur.com/I2suc.jpg
Ahhhh Seeso, I see you've located your queen Gigapu...or is she only a pretender to the throne? That's not just Aldrine in a dress is it !?! Personally, if all goes according to plan...I will have a large boxtrap at UWC (i.e. RV) stocked with many ukuleles, cookies, chocolate, and ice cream(Ben&Jerry's and/or HagenDaz)! Muahahahaha!

SailorQwest
03-22-2010, 06:02 AM

When I first started playing, everytime I tryed to play somthing my wife would steal my Uke away and say let me try that. Now she's a member of GIGAPUS. Maybe you could try someting simalar. Just tell your potential GIGAPU, I don't want you playing my Uke. OK? You may never get it back.