A man...changing his mind?

the52blues

Reaction score
I am a long time (over 45 years) Jazz guitar player and decided to get a uke since they are making a comeback. I made most of my decisions based on my experience with the guitar. First I assumed a soprano uke would be too small for my hands so I should get a tenor. Second I assumed I would rather use low G tuning so it would be more like my guitar....I searched the web looked at many a uke and brand and decided my first uke would be a Kala Jazz archtop electric strung in low G. The store I bought it from already had it strung in high G telling me it was more popular so I had them throw in a low G set of strings and an extra low G string to put on now. I played my fingers off trying to play charts I downloaded off the web and found I really like high G tuning better. Recently, while I was waiting at another music store for something, I grabbed a soprano uke off the wall to goof around and found I was actually able to play some of the stuff I just learned on the soprano. It was also quite a bit louder than the archtop I just bought too. I was very surprised. If it hadn't have been going for $245 (a Kala KA-KS Koa) I probably would have bought it right there. Back to the web sites and decided to order a Kala soprano pineapple (silk screened like a pineapple - cool...OK cool to me). It'll be in on Monday...what do I tell the wife....UAS strikes again...

You tell her your a jazz man and she knew what to expect when she married you. (there probably wont be any more questions for a long time after that).
Once I reached a level of three or four guitars it became obvious that my wife could not tell the difference between them. Never mind that they were all red but the point is that she really didnt pay that much attention to the detail.
So, when your wife see's the new uke and says "is that new?". You simply say no honey, I've had this guitar for a long time.
My love for ukulele started about 2 months ago. I bought the first one while we were in Hawaii and played it in the room every night.
I now have something like seven. I showed her my new baritone last night and for comparison showed her the original uke from Hawaii. I said to her this is the uke I bought when we were in Hawaii and she looked at it like she had never seen it before.
It's the same as when your wife buys a new pair of shoes and you say "don't you have a pair like that already?".......Honey. Don't forget the "Honey" part.

Last edited:
I have found that honesty is indeed the best policy. The key to acceptable UAS is in the gigging for me. You simply say, "These things pay for themselves!" Of course this is contingent on getting paying gigs. No open mic nights, no unpaid fundraisers, etc. If that doesn't work, then the next thing is to get, say, a Mainland mahogany gloss soprano AND a Mainland mahogany gloss concert, and like Clark Kent and Superman, they're never seen out at the same time! If she says, "Did that grow or am I crazy?" Tell her she's crazy or she never woulda married a jazz guitarist!

:nana:

Last edited:
Ha! Now you are starting to understand why people get more than one ukulele! It's because they NEED them! High g, Low G, soprano, tenor... it ends up with "Well, I don't have the Makala Dolphin in BLUE yet...". Have fun!

Thanks for all the advice. I used the "You knew I was a Jazz musician when you married me" one a few times already and it works usually especially if I have some gigs going. This time I'm just coming off a 2 month period of being bed ridden and unable to work. I still need a cane to get around and am still avoiding stairs. It's hard to carry equipment and set it up with a cane. So no income I should be paying the bills not buying ukes....BTW I think the Kala U-Bass will be next LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom