Anyone recognize this old guitar?

uke5417

Reaction score
The uke looks like an old Martin sop, but I don't know guitars. It's going to be at an upcoming estate sale. thanks

2j2gjli.jpg
[/IMG]

At first glance, the pickguard kinda looks like an Eko. It might be an import from Japan too. It really is hard to tell without seeing the headstock. When something comes with learning materials, it can be a good clue of pedigree. A high end instrument is seldom recommended to a beginner and probably would have been sold in a nicer hard shell case. White plastic binding yellows with age and it seems 40 years old at the most. The bridge is adjustable and the two dots hide screws through the top of the guitar. Unfortunately, the neck is probably bolted on too. From the color on the edge of the soundhole and the attachment of the bridge, I would also guess that it is a laminate. Whatever it is, I would make sure that the dust on the chipboard case is not mold. From what I can gather from the photo, it is probably not the holy grail, nor is it something worth very much. Still, it might be a good player.

On the other hand, if that ukulele is a Martin, the guitar is a lot less important. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the help. It's amazing what a knowledgeable eye can pick out.

You're welcome, but honestly, I am sure there are many others more knowledgeable than me.

flyer4.jpg

For under a hundred bucks, a nice playing 70s Terada (aka Kingston, Epiphone, et al) might be just the ticket.

Even if it isn't a Gibson SJ, tune it up and have a whirl. Finding something for peanuts with a sweet disposition is always a good thing. :cool:

Alas, I was five minutes too late. I did, however, get to hold the '60-ish Martin, which sold for $450. Sound like a lot for an estate sale, but the uke was pristine, never played. It was beautiful to look at, but sad, in a way. My own from the same era is covered with years of fingernail scrapes, but a much happier uke for it.

Of the sop I didn't buy, or the one that I own? I don't know where the missed one went, and I know you've seen the latter on a dozen vids. Or do you want to see that wear, close-up? Quien es mas macho?

There were lots of Gibson knock-off guitars from Japan in the 1970s and many of them were nice instruments. This one looks as though it comes from that trend. The important thing is whether or not the guitar's neck is still good. A reset would cost more than the guitar is worth. Then if there is any issue in the top between the bridge and sound hole (belly), or the bridge is pulling a bit, the guitar has been too dry. How about the seams... are all joints solid and are there any strange buzzes when you play... from inside the body (a loose spar can cause that).

The guitar to be recognized is an EKO Ranger-VI, made in Italy from '67 until late '70s. I own the 12 string version of this guitar which I bought new in 1971.

Top Bottom