Starting to play the Uke- crazy story.. please read

New2Uke

Reaction score
Who would have thought that while looking for videos of Jimi Hendrix on youtube for a research project my jr year would lead me to watching the Zelda Medley performed by Aldrine that completely astounded me! I literally watched that video a hundred times and I never knew what a Ukulele was! That was 2weeks ago, and since then I have been doing crazy research about which Uke should be my first price wise and quality wise, Im super excited to start playing, especially since I was recently introduced to Jake shimbakuro's( sry if I hacked the last name) videos, WOW! Im a crazy Aldrine fan since he was the first I herd I watch his videos all the time, and now Its time to pick my first Uke, ive decided to go with the Kala KA-T, it got great reviews here and everywhere else, only 130$ with new strings, a case, and a chords manual from MGM. I figure its perfect for a noob like me, what do you guys think?

Welcome!

I'm new at this myself, and just joined here, but I can already guarantee you that you'll receive a warm "Aloha" welcome from the older and wiser members, along with their seasoned advice!
While the best advice I can give as a newbie is to take the advice of the guys here, I do wish you the best of luck in your new discovery!

I'm flattered! It's awesome that you decided to pick it up for yourself. The uke draws in people like a magnet. Such fun little awesome instrument.

Good choice with the Kala. MGM is a man who can point you to the right direction as far as starting uke goes. Everyone on this forum should be able to help you out as well.

Welcome to the insanity! You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. ;)

I myself am getting my first Kala so I don't have much experience with them, other than a jazz tenor I played once that felt real nice. MGM won't sell a bad uke, so you did good ordering from him.

You'll be rockin' just as soon as you get that C,F,G7,C progression down! :rock:

I'm flattered! It's awesome that you decided to pick it up for yourself. The uke draws in people like a magnet. Such fun little awesome instrument.

Good choice with the Kala. MGM is a man who can point you to the right direction as far as starting uke goes. Everyone on this forum should be able to help you out as well.

Aldrine!?:eek: lol its so weird that you actually responded to my thread because in my mind your like a celebrity lol :D Thanks for all the responses everyone:music: I cant wait to start playing aslong to all the lessons on this site, good stuff! Im already practicing the strumming pattern for Summer Breeze with just my hands lol its actually pretty hard, im so used to videogames and stuff that my hands are all scrunched feeling, curse the wii remote( wii rox...so does ps3) anywayzzz man I want my uke

it should be a great choice and welcome to the forums. also before it's too late, i would recommend taking a look at the iamhawaii.com ukulele videos that aldrine did awhile back if you havent done so already. those are good lessons too!

Oh yeah Ive watched A LOT of iamhawaii vids waiting for my first uke to arrive. I would love to learn the Zelda Medley like Aldrine played. How long has Aldrine been playing to get that good?

Welcome aboard matie, aargh, ya won't find a finer shipload of uke players if you sailed the seven seas...batten down the hatches boy, you're in for a wild ride.

Can anyone translate the sign up page for iamhawaii.com? It doesnt show any of the words so I dont know what to put into each box!:p

Welcome to UU... be prepared for the most fun, exciting and fulfilling addictions you can have! Ukuleles are like tattoos and potato chips - you can't have just one!

Last edited:
Welcome to UU... be prepared for the most fun, exciting and fulfilling addictions you can have! Ukuleles are like tattoos and potato chips - you can't have just one!

This is not quite true, I only have one tattoo and I intend to keep it that way.

I admit it starts at the back of my neck and covers my whole back and ends just where my legs begin but it is still only one tattoo...

I intend to make up for it with uke-quisition (the active symptom of UAS) and death by potato chip.

Jack33

Welcome to UU and my experiance with Kala tells me you made a pretty decent choice there.

This is not quite true, I only have one tattoo and I intend to keep it that way.

I admit it starts at the back of my neck and covers my whole back and ends just where my legs begin but it is still only one tattoo...

LOL. I told my wife my goal is to have "one" tattoo. She was not pleased. Again.

Hey New2Uke! Welcome aboard!

I think you've made a stack of wise choices here -- the Kala, this forum, and the seller you've chosen will all contribute to years of joy -- have fun!

LOL. I told my wife my goal is to have "one" tattoo. She was not pleased. Again.

Ok, the one tattoo needs a disclaimer: unless it's a frapping huge backpiece. ;)

Why was your wife not pleased? I'd love for my husband to finally get some ink. :rock:

One of us has to get a portrait of Pixie. He said he will, while I'll get my horse on my back shoulder. And there's one more scifi piece I want done, and I want a sea-themed piece, and last but not least, we hate wearing wedding rings, so we need some ink to replace those - no text, bleh to text, no traditional or new skool style in this case either.

And I'll probably think of more. It's addictive.

Where I'm from, I should be the neocon brand of conservative, but I'm just not. I'm sorry yall can't come to an agreement on body modification, because the approval of my husband is something I know I like to have. Yeah, it's my body, but he has to look at it. :(

... I'm sorry yall can't come to an agreement on body modification, because the approval of my husband is something I know I like to have. .... :(

I like that we can have our differences, BIG DIFFERENCES, yet still be best friends.

Top Bottom