Help with the Beginning Stages of the Uke

uketalkintome

Reaction score
So I went to the closest SAMASH store this weekend and bought myself a Makala MK-C ukulele as a starting place. Ive tuned it everytime I bring it out and not thrash it.
But when strumming chords I'm getting something sounding similar to fret buzz and Im also losing a lot of projection from the instrument itself (volume wise).
Is there any "set up" I need to conduct to get this instrument sounding better? Or what is the real issue?

thanks for the responses in advance

Welcome to UU

New strings might help, since many of the entry level ukes come with really cheap strings. See if you can get Aquilla strings.

It is possible you might need someone to check out the action and adjust it. It shouldn't buzz. If it still buzzes after the string change, there might have to be an adjustment at the nut or saddle. You could see it you can return it since you have a store right there. If there is a fret sticking up too high, they should replace the uke, or fix it.

When you play, the position you hold the uke in will sometimes mute the soundbox a bit. When you are sitting, try playing it on your lap, with the uke not touching your stomach. You will notice a much better tone and volume.

–Lori

I have the same uke. However I got it from MGM and he put on the aquila strings and set it up perfectly! Maybe you can return that uke to Sam Ash and get a perfect Makala Concert from MGM.

I threw on some Aquilla strings last night and ill make sure to say how those work out, i think itll help out definately though for sure

i got the same ukulele u got. and i was def thinking of putting the Aquilla strings. just for the fact that my friend play with my ukulele with a quarter without me knowing. but yes please let me know how it is and if i should get the strings

Top Bottom