Article: The ukulele subversives

Alan, the UCB website opened up for me, and I read the text, but the pictures/videos never opened....

Tried again from a different computer, and it worked fine this time. That Joni Mitchell piece was wonderful! I've seen dulcimer played a few times before, but never with the percussion incorperated....

Tinyguitars built my tenor CBU, and he makes great stuff! I like the way he plays, too! I think that dulciuke is for sale (arggh, too late durn it Alan!)...now if he could only set it up like an eleuke w/MP3 inputs and headphone jack....hmmmm!?! Wow Joni ! I always wondered how to "chunk" on a dulcimer!

Last edited:
The ukulele is already a 3 string instrument. The G and the A are really one string. Jake S. figured that out...

Russians (Balalaika), and the Japanese (Shamisen) have been doing it with 3 strings for centuries. There's nothing new under the sun. :D

Last edited:
Russians (Balalaika), and the Japanese (Shamisen) have been doing it with 3 strings for centuries. There's nothing new under the son. :D

Seriously, once I "got it" so to speak about the G and the A, I discovered the C and E, kind of like the first time. You can find more "instruments" in various 3 string ways of looking at a ukulele...almost like you're forced to...and it also starts to just happen.

My first stringed instrument was an old banjo with only one string on it that my uncle left at our house when I was 5 or 6 yrs old. I used to run my finger up & down the frets & pick out melodies; mostly stuff like Mary Had a Little Lamb & Twinkle Twinkle.:cool:

Here's my homemade "Canjo" (3 strings on half a hockey stick and a dollar store pie plate basically) It is fretted and tuned like a dulcimer and kinda fun to play....the kids like it!
canjo1.jpg

Top Bottom