Schools with uke programs

My son's school (shout out to Mountain Shadows!) taught ukulele to the 6th graders this year.

~Michael

Anyone know of schools or non-profit programs that teach uke to kids or disadvantaged people.

Mike, I have a the Panter Ukulele Player Society. It is a school sponsored club for third to fifth graders. Our first concert is April 19. We are getting excited. Next year I am expanding it to the middle school as well. My students have to provide their own uke (well most of them do) and I teach them the basics. This is the second year that I have taught the ukulele. I am trying to convince my music teacher to adopt a ukes in the classroom curriculum. No luck so far.

i also do Ukulele music with the Aster School program on Thursdays. That is for K-5. The director wanted to buy some ukuleles but with budget cuts she couldn't justify spending $500 on 20 ukes. She opted to buy cardboard box ukuleles instead. It was fun building them:)

Darkwater teaches ukulele in his school as well (he is an elementary music teacher) in Douglas County ( I think it is Winston Elementary).

Last edited:
Michael Lynch (MusicTeacher2003 on YouTube) teaches Uke to his music students (kids). Also, that Canadian school in Nova Scotia has a program too (as seen in the Mighty Uke trailer).

I run both a beginner and advanced ukulele club in a secondary school (equivalent to middle + high school). There's a primary school near us which has switched from recorders to ukuleles. I'm hoping the movement spreads, obviously.

I'm also hoping to get a batch of 15 dolphins in to do some Music lessons with ukuleles for Year 7 and 8s (equivalent to 6th and 7th graders).

My son's school in South London has just started ukulele classes for all year 4 (age 8-9) children. They gave them all (about 60 children) Mahalo ukes!

I've donated over a hundred Makala dolphin ukes to California schools, from elementary to High School. Also two a month to a local chamber of commerce for raffle at their sundowners (mixers). Music is the only thing that kept me in school after junior high (middle school, now). I know ona couple of schools that need some more. Ric

Kainalu Elementary School in Kailua, Hawai'i where I worked has a weekly after school 'ukulele program. I believe most Hawai'i public elementary schools now offer similar programs.

I'm attempting to get a Uke club going at my school. I've started with a few Ukes and am planning to hit up PTO for a few more. They are not disadvantaged kids in terms of income, but most have a parent who is deployed.

I'm attempting to get a Uke club going at my school. I've started with a few Ukes and am planning to hit up PTO for a few more. They are not disadvantaged kids in terms of income, but most have a parent who is deployed.

If I get this DoDDs job as well David, I would love to help you with two teachers:) I'm hoping to get called in soon.

Dat's a fact! Back in my day, all da skoolz had ukulele! Even in intermediate and high skool! Choke people carrying ukulele in skool jus playing all da time! Doze wuz da days!
Kainalu Elementary School in Kailua, Hawai'i where I worked has a weekly after school 'ukulele program. I believe most Hawai'i public elementary schools now offer similar programs.

I teach music in 2 rural schools and have my kids do uke as a part of the curriculum. We have enough Lanikai LU-21 soprano ukes for all of the kids to play during class, but don't have enough for kids to take home. SO last summer, I made several ukes (along w/public domain songs & a list of helpful websites) available at the town library. They were a popular item, so I'll make more available this summer.

I'd love to get in touch with other teachers who teach classroom ukulele!

Had breakfast with some of my husband's relatives yesterday. I was stunned to hear that one of his cousins, who is in 5th grade, had a 6 week course in ukulele. He goes to school in Edina, Minnesota. All 5th graders take the class. Minnesota??!!? Who knew?

Top Bottom