the next big fad?

IamRobbyah

Reaction score
Marquesan banjo -- I've always loved this instrument, from the first time I've heard it. Anyone kno the actual name, I've heard it referred to unda other names.

a lil showcase of yet some more local talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KbocrQqQUI

i see these guys at the gym every now an then, but i'm too shy to say wussup.

Anyone think that this instrument will catch on like de 'uke?

Lol thass wsuup. I have the video on my myspace :nana:

Yeah I've watched these dudes play since spring last year? Yea. My cousin goes to Solano College with Justin (long hair) and Jeffrey DeGuia (youtube.com/coversbyjeffreyd).

I love the sound of that 'marquesan banjo'. Just stands out to me.

Apparently, it is called a tahitian ukulele. When I look up marquesan banjo on google, nothing poops up but the video. Maybe its a nickname?

Very interesting shape (its gotta hold 8 strings), and a very bright sound, is there a sound hole? I couldn't make it out.

Very cool, but holmes there in the striped shirt needed to keep out of the frame and shut the eff up.

When I'm somewhere like that and some great talent is going down I try to soak it up.

(Yeah, it's The Grumpy Unca' Hobbit show again, but really!)

That thing looks and sounds pretty cool, but I have a feeling that it would just be a very small fad, if any. I doubt it would last long... i don't know why, just a hunch I guess. I still want one though.,...

Very cool, but holmes there in the striped shirt needed to keep out of the frame and shut the eff up.

When I'm somewhere like that and some great talent is going down I try to soak it up.

I agree and turn off the stupid TV when you're recording.....

I feel ya. The one dark blotch on the last local uke meetup was the drunk guy who wanted to keep talking to me during each set. He'd wait until the music started and just start shouting over it. I tried my best to ignore him, but then he wanted to prove to me how much he "knew" about singing and started making screatching noises, I guess proving he was (not) a tenor, and he grabbed my arm and wanted me to touch his stomach and neck (so that I could feel how he was doing it right, when he was so badly doing it wrong).

I know by the sound of that, that he sounds like he was cruisin' for a bruisin', but he means well, and he's a member of the club, and he wanted everyone to play his uke, and he's a huge Hawaiiphile, but jeez!

I would have been happy to chat with him, and so I did in between sets, because he did mean well, it's just he's the type that doesn't register when other things are going on.

Last edited:
It will catch on once someone plays one on American Idol. :music:

I actually have one of these, that I picked up in Tahiti...I gotta say though, I never really play it, although side by side with a uke it has a very different sound. Haha, the shape also makes it much harder to hold and it falls out of tune a little more quickly because of the eight strings. It's definitely a fun instrument, but I don't think it would ever catch on like the ukulele since it's so similar but not so iconic!

Top Bottom