Has anyone here ever played a Lanikai LU-21T Tenor?

Played a couple in stores for maybe 10 minutes each and had a good look over.

They seem like perfectly reasonable budget 'ukuleles to me. Certainly should keep a beginner happy for some time.

i play one a lot, check my channel you will see it many times on there , the earlier vids are a bit more naked in terms of the sound cos ive been cheating with a bit of reverb recently.

they are the best in their price range i would say, i played a lot of em before settling on this one.

I still have one - It was my first serious uke. In my opinion it is an excelent choice for a beginner to start ukulele journey.

I played one a few weeks ago; I was thinking about getting the same one.

Then I got an Eleuke. Never looked back at it.

In all seriousness, it's a great beginner's uke. I would have gotten one if I could have afforded it back in the day.

A good uke for a few bucks, but I think that's a uke for beginner or a "travel uke" or somthing like that.

My main uke used to be a nato Lanikai LU-21TE. I still play it a lot. It's worth noting that I enjoyed playing it more than my cedar Kala that I paid twice as much for. Most of my videos were done with the Lanikai. I love that uke.

I have a LU-21TE also. It's not my main ukulele but I like it. I got it because it was used and the price was great.

first ukulele i purchased, and have no regrets. it was affordable while still staying in tune, having good volume, and sounds great. few little issues with labor/finishing like the edges of the neck, but other than that i'm perfectly happy with my choice

Local music store just picked up lanikai. I am VERY impressed with the quality you get for the price.! THey are well built and sound great. In fact, my UAS kicked in. Glen had ordered an 8 string acoustic electric for a customer. I tuned it up for him. I ENDED UP ORDERING ONE FOR MYSELF!!!!

My main uke used to be a nato Lanikai LU-21TE. I still play it a lot. It's worth noting that I enjoyed playing it more than my cedar Kala that I paid twice as much for. Most of my videos were done with the Lanikai. I love that uke.

Your vids and enthusiasm for the Lanikai LU-21TE led me to give it a try and pick one up. And really glad I did. "Beginner's uke?" Budget option? A solid little workhorse. Great with vocals.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your vids and enthusiasm for the Lanikai LU-21TE led me to give it a try and pick one up. And really glad I did. "Beginner's uke?" Budget option? A solid little workhorse. Great with vocals.

Thanks.

You're very welcome. Glad you like it! Great little ukes.

Keep in mind that Seeso can make ANY uke sound amazing, so dont get discouraged if you cant get it to sound like him right away. It takes a TON of practice to get anywhere near his level. What you need to know though is that if he endorses it, it ain't a bad uke :D

I, too started on the T and graduated to the TE. The LU-21T is nothing to scoff at. Mine (Ruby, which will explain why I call it a "she" or a "her" from here on), inspired a ton of great songs, but I was never inspired to try finger picking on her because she sounded a little flat to me in that area. Not flat as in flats vs. sharps, but just the sound didn't make it as far as I would like. When I graduated to the TE, everything was just that miniscule bit bigger and shot sound across the room and has brought me a whole new slew of music that I feel is at another level entirely.

That being said, I totally recommend it for someone who finds themselves at the beginning of the desire to do some serious song writing as well as public performance, although if you feel that you're not reaching your full songwriting potential, the LU-21TE will just kick it up a couple notches.

My next big journey is to find a uke that will totally compete with my double bass player and my drummer for attention other than, "dude, is she playing a ukulele?"

I just starting playing ukulele this week and picked up a LU-21T on Tuesday. I wanted a well made "beginner" uke and this model has gotten good reviews. It took a while to stay in tune which worried me, but then I read that's normal for new uke strings. This is well made and has a very decent sound to it. I highly recommend it to anyone just starting out like me. I haven't put mine down since it came out of the box, I just hope I can get half as good at playing it as the folks here.

I just starting playing ukulele this week and picked up a LU-21T on Tuesday. I wanted a well made "beginner" uke and this model has gotten good reviews. It took a while to stay in tune which worried me, but then I read that's normal for new uke strings. This is well made and has a very decent sound to it. I highly recommend it to anyone just starting out like me. I haven't put mine down since it came out of the box, I just hope I can get half as good at playing it as the folks here.

Enjoy the uke and the best to you.

I don't know why everyone keeps referring to this as a beginner's instrument - seems snobby to me. Why - because it didn't set you back $1-2,000? I'm perfectly happy with mine http://www.youtube.com/user/tafkam1

Mitch Chang
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/

I share your sentiments. And BTW, great instuctional vids.

Related to the notion of "beginner's stuff"...a good number of people take up ukulele (or guitar) with the idea (acquired on forums?) that rhythmic play is somehow more for "beginners" and that melodic instrumental is the really advanced stuff. I would describe that view as clueless. What distingushes the great ones, whether ukulele players or guitarists is the level and textures of their rhythm play...as the basis for everything...including solo instrumentals (not just accompaniment with singing).

In short, gear snobbery is also frequently related to notions of "playing" snobbery where the reverse is the the truth. The real secret of course is staying a beginner...

Last edited:
First ukulele I ever bought was the Lanikai tenor you mention, however I took it back and got a Cordoba instead. I did not really like it all that much, but I really love my Lanikai S-TEQ spruce top tenor. Plays great and good electronics for not very much money and not even all that much from the LU-21T.

Top Bottom