using guitar strings on a soprano ukulele?

dabd

Reaction score
I read a thread where a user mentions he's using these gauges for his ukulele (which I don't know if it is a soprano, BTW).

low G tuning:
D'Addario NYL028W Classical Guitar Silver Plated Wound on Nylon .028, single string (low G)
Savarez Alliance KF 543R - 3rd string (g) normal tension .0331 (C)
Savarez Alliance KF 542R - 2nd string (b) normal tension .0272 (E)
Savarez Alliance KF 541R - 1st string (e), normal tension .0244 (A)

Could this gauges be used on a soprano ukulele?

Thanks.

I have no idea.

But why would you want to? Ukuleles generally use nylon strings and they aren't very expensive.

I'll be interested to see how others respond to this.

The discussion about using Savarez is directed more to a tenor than a soprano.

I bought a .028 nylon E guitar string but tuning it to low G resulted in very poor string tension.
So what is the correct gauge to use for a soprano uke?
Thanks.

Since in Argentina we don't have Ukelele strings, the luthier used guitar strings for mine. I'm no expert but they appear to work just fine :D

EDIT: Mine is a soprano too. If you want to I can talk to him and ask him which string he used where.

Are you using a low G tuning on your soprano ukulele?
If so, I would appreciate if you could tell me what type of guitar string and gauge are you using.

Thanks.

No, I'm not, but I could ask him anyway, maybe he knows what the best type and gauge you need. If you can wait a couple of days I might be able to get an answer (he's a busy guy xD), he's used to use guitar strings in ukeleles because, like I said, we don't have special strings for ukeleles here :(

I've never used Savarez strings on a ukulele but I use D'Addario Pro Artes on a few of mine. The Pro Arte ukulele strings are taken directly from the Pro Arte classical guitar strings and just packaged in appropriate guages for the ukulele. The concert string guages are (from high-G to A): .028, .040, .032, .028. The tenor guages are: .029, .041, .033, .029. I'm guessing the guages you listed would work.

Okay, thanks for all the replies.
I tried a D'Addario D .029 string (J2704) Normal tension silverwound, tuned it to a low G, and so far it is working perfectly!

Top Bottom