Is it worth it, or am I just starting to get UAS?

Eriquito

Reaction score
I started out playing on a cheap Hilo with the idea that when I finally got a better uke, I would keep it is as beater to play at the beach and camping etc. Needless to say, after playing my Mainland for 20 seconds I realized just how terrible the Hilo was.

The problem is that I still want a uke that I don't have to worry about taking around the Great Outdoors, and to raucous parties (not that I go to too many but you never know) but playing the Hilo (with its ridiculously high action and terrible intonation) is a real bummer.

So I guess my question is: Should I buy a Makala Dolphin from MGM? I hear they are set up wonderfully and would therefore not have any of the action/intonation problems I hate so much. Do you think its worth the $50 or so when you factor in shipping just to have another ukulele that you don't have to care so much about? Am I being silly if I already have a playable (albeit crappy) instrument in my stable?

I don't want want to turn this into another "Spouse says no" post, so I will say upfront that My Lady has already expressed ambivalence about my purchase. I'm just asking for my own cheap self...What do y'all think?

I would just take the Mainland outdoors unless you're doing more extreme stuff such as white water rafting or something (in which case you probably don't want to have a uke of any kind with you anyway). I've bought a few ukes with the idea of them being my "beater" and they all end up not getting played at all because I'd rather play my better ukes. A Mainland is a good uke, but it's not irreplaceable if it gets damaged and it'll be fine if you exercise moderate caution with it. And I'm not just saying this either. A couple of weeks ago I took my custom William King, which is not replaceable (i.e. it's one of a kind), to Hawaii and played it on the beach. I enjoyed that very much.

Yes and Yes! ( get the dolphin)...or save up and get a flea, or a fluke , or an eleuke, or...(get the point?)

I agree - just take your Mainland. It's a tough uke and will be of more use in your hands than in a case. If a shark eats it or something it isn't inconceivable that you could get another, and anyway, its worth the negligible risk to ensure it has fun! It probably WILL become your 'beater' one day anyway. I found a two-year old playing my Koaloha the other day - I laughed and took pictures before carefully retrieving it and putting it in its case.

Completely agree with GX9901 (lol sorry I'll look up your name later, its not really something I can call you formally =D ).

I had a Ohana CK-75cg (these are very showy ukes) Ken Middleton recently said to me, play it, enjoy it, if you break it save up and buy another. Never a truer word spoken.

Mainlands are awesome sounding and looking but they are also a good price, which means yeah its replaceable, a uke with a few nicks in shows its been well loved, (never a sader sight seen than a surfboard hanging on a wall with not a single pressure dent). It won't last forever anyway, frets and parts will wear, the neck might shift a little in the far years to come. No matter how well you look after it your going to knock it from time to time.

I'd think differently if it were a collectors item or high price range, but you want people to hear you at your best not on a lesser uke.

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses. I think I'll hold on buying a new ukulele and get to know my Mainland a little better. Though it has been said many times, this site is awesome! Thanks again!

Save up for a Fluke! If you play the Mainland to death, then you'll have a great reason to get another one.

I agree with George. Take the mainland (... and the cannolis). It's *relatively* replaceable enough. These days, I've only been playing the solid woods, and my laminates are not getting any play time, so I have been slowly selling them... or giving them away. My beater uke now is a solid koa tenor Kelii... and it used to be a Kala KA-ST (which I sold).

I agree that you should only buy the 10 or so ukes that you would like to play - no beaters!!! You won't play them.

I agree with George. Take the mainland (... and the cannolis). It's *relatively* replaceable enough. These days, I've only been playing the solid woods, and my laminates are not getting any play time, so I have been slowly selling them... or giving them away. My beater uke now is a solid koa tenor Kelii... and it used to be a Kala KA-ST (which I sold).

Love the Godfather reference. Play the Mainland.

I started out with an Ovation UA-10 for three months. Then I bought Kanilea super concerrt thinking that my Applause would be my beater uke. I haven't played it since.

Have you tried replacing the string on your Hilo with Aquilas (the friend of laminate 'ukuleles), and try sanding down the height of your saddle to adjust the action? I would try this first since it's a small investment and won't make your old Hilo sound any worse in any case. Eventually save up for a FLEA, you can find used one on Craigslist for around $100. ;)

I disagree about taking the Mainland. If it's your 'precious' uke that you want to take care of, I would opt taking a Makala Dolphin (or something slightly better without costing too much).
I like having a good uke and a beater-uke for-outdoors.

dolphins are great for knocking about but if you want a quality beater then you have to go flea or fluke, they are practically indestructible, and you get the bonus that they really are playable and enjoyable as an everyday instrument whereas a dolphin, though great has it's acoustic limitations.

I would monkey with your Hilo. What's the worst that can happen? If your experimenting doesn't get it done, I would take the Mainland to the beach and have fun. Isn't that the reason that you bought it?

If your Mainland gets thrashed, then you can replace it with a *nicer* one. Or, if you succumb to UAS, I think a flea is a great choice. It's precisely for the durability, low action, and great sound that I bought one for my then 5 year old. It still looks brand new.

BTW, if your experimenting on the Hilo doesn't work, you can do what I did. I gave my *starter* uke to my nephew. I think it was a Pignose brand that I bought from the local Costco for about $80. Funny thing is that my wife thought that was a lot at the time. I remember her saying, it wasn't a "cheapie" one.

I love my Dolphin and it has served as my "leave it at work" beater uke. Its a fantastic uke for a great price that won't crush your soul if something happens to it. If you're worried that your Mainland would get harmed then you're like me in that replacing a $200+ instrument would be a blow to your short term disposable income.

BTW, another bonus of the Dolphin is its cheap enough to retire whenever a cool opportunity comes up. Jake Shimabukuro signed mine on Thursday after a concert so now the Dolphin is happily retired.

That all said, rationalizing uke purchases is a sure sign of UAS ;)

You can NEVER own too many ukes......cheap or expensive. Just buy them all. When you tire of one they make great gifts. A dolphin is a much better beater uke than a Hilo and a great deal from MGM.

dolphins are great for knocking about but if you want a quality beater then you have to go flea or fluke, they are practically indestructible, and you get the bonus that they really are playable and enjoyable as an everyday instrument whereas a dolphin, though great has it's acoustic limitations.

For the record: Ahem. I, quite by accident, crushed my Flea. No. They aren't that tough.

For the record: Ahem. I, quite by accident, crushed my Flea. No. They aren't that tough.

How did you crush it?

BTW, I don't think of my Flea as a "beater" in the sense of I don't care if I drop it... for me the deal is it can tolerate more temp fluctuations...in that department. Tonally for me, it isn't a beater ukulele. I would gig with a Flea and plan on doing so. It's not that it can simply "take a beating" but that it's a ukulele with which you yourself can also kick a$$.

The Mainland? Can't imagine sitting for more than 1 hour in direct sunlight with one of them, but hey, it might be be "worth it" for some: about $200/hr..

Last edited:
Top Bottom