Would this be a G chord?

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was fooling around today with a new song, and was looking for an easier chord change for it. I was wondering if 4232 was acceptable as a barre chord for G?

I'm just trying to learn about music theory and moveable chord shapes, so please forgive me if this seems obvious....

I was fooling around today with a new song, and was looking for an easier chord change for it. I was wondering if 4232 was acceptable as a barre chord for G?

I'm just trying to learn about music theory and moveable chord shapes, so please forgive me if this seems obvious....

Yeah, you're just hitting a B note on the G string instead of a G. The G chord is made up of G, D and B notes.

Yea, it is and makes it easy to use other inversion chords like C (3345) D7 (5655) G7 (4535) and so on. Ukulele Chord Finder is an invaluable tool.

Don't tell me I'm actally LEARNING something! How cool is that? Thanks, ukeshale.

The song I'm playing switches back and forth between Bm (4222) and G, and uses a D and a C. The barred G (4232) just seemed alot easier to change into and out of; much less hand movement. I'm learning keonepax's version of "Lean On Me".

Another way to think of that particular barred G is that it's a regular, open-position F chord, only moved up two frets. (Which makes sense, since G is two half-steps higher than F)

Your index finger is sort of taking the place of the nut, or being used as a human capo. :)

JJ

Another way to think of that particular barred G is that it's a regular, open-position F chord, only moved up two frets. (Which makes sense, since G is two half-steps higher than F)

Your index finger is sort of taking the place of the nut, or being used as a human capo. :)

JJ

JJ, that's exactly what made me think I could do that. Then I had doubts when I checked my chord book and didn't see that version listed there. I may actually learn some of this stuff yet!

JJ

Jeepers, that makes a lot of sense. Especially as the index finger taking place of the nut. Thanks!

Jeepers, that makes a lot of sense. Especially as the index finger taking place of the nut. Thanks!

JJ is the best at explaining this stuff! He always seems to be able to light that little light bulb over my head....

Top Bottom