Is this a stupid question?

Janko

Reaction score
I edited this post and removed the first question. Sorry folks. I had a brain fart. The answere came to me this morning. All I can say is ... Duh!

Also, does anyone know what a general good size is for Barrel Bolts to bolt the neck on to a uke? and would glue still be needed then to?
I would like to order some but I have no guide lines.
Here they are called Cross dowels.

I tried making 2 spanish heels with different results on both and now I want to try a bolt on neck. I hope it is a little less time consuming.

Once again Thank you
Janko

Last edited:
I think that is quite a bit.

I don't think that's much at all.

Also, does anyone know what a general good size is for Barrel Bolts to bolt the neck on to a uke? and would glue still be needed then to?

I order 2" cross dowel bolts fromj Rockler and cut them down. I used to buy the brands carried by both Lowe's and Home Depot but the casting in the nuts are junk and the wouldn't thread smoothly.
Use glue if you wish depending on how good your connection is. If your joint is true, tight, and good contact is made on both surfaces, glue isn't really necessary, but you can put a small dab of glue on the heel if it's going to keep you up at night. As a builder, in the back of your mind the question should always be running: "How hard will this be to take apart if it becomes necessary to do so some day?" Naturally, the fret board extension is glued and clamped to the upper bout. Clamp in all directions first before tightening the bolt and do a dry run before applying any glue.
One thing I do do as regular practice now is put a drop of white glue on top of the bolt (before the fret board is glued on) once it is finally aligned to the body just to keep it from falling out. One day I'll tell you how it feels to try to bolt your finished uke together and realize the the bolt fell out somewhere along the way.

I tried making 2 spanish heels with different results on both and now I want to try a bolt on neck. I hope it is a little less time consuming.

I've had experience with both. Bolt-on is not any faster, it's just different and either style will dramatically affect how the instrument is built and finished. Each technique has it's pros and cons. Personally, I feel much more comfortable with the versatility of the bolt-on neck. Some builders object to an ugly piece of hardware being a part of their instrument, something I do my best to ignore.

As with all aspect of building, it's best to try your hand at various techniques and go with the one that matches your style.

Good luck and keep it fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck.
You gave me some good tips and ideas.
About the extra 8th of an inch! I figured out that the bottom is no longer than the top. The extra travel is used up in the hump between the ends.... lol. Don't tell anyone I actually asked that question on here.

If I can ask....what size of bolt do you use? around 5/16"?

I don't think that's much at all.

I order 2" cross dowel bolts fromj Rockler and cut them down. I used to buy the brands carried by both Lowe's and Home Depot but the casting in the nuts are junk and the wouldn't thread smoothly.
Use glue if you wish depending on how good your connection is. If your joint is true, tight, and good contact is made on both surfaces, glue isn't really necessary, but you can put a small dab of glue on the heel if it's going to keep you up at night. As a builder, in the back of your mind the question should always be running: "How hard will this be to take apart if it becomes necessary to do so some day?" Naturally, the fret board extension is glued and clamped to the upper bout. Clamp in all directions first before tightening the bolt and do a dry run before applying any glue.
One thing I do do as regular practice now is put a drop of white glue on top of the bolt (before the fret board is glued on) once it is finally aligned to the body just to keep it from falling out. One day I'll tell you how it feels to try to bolt your finished uke together and realize the the bolt fell out somewhere along the way.

I've had experience with both. Bolt-on is not any faster, it's just different and either style will dramatically affect how the instrument is built and finished. Each technique has it's pros and cons. Personally, I feel much more comfortable with the versatility of the bolt-on neck. Some builders object to an ugly piece of hardware being a part of their instrument, something I do my best to ignore.

As with all aspect of building, it's best to try your hand at various techniques and go with the one that matches your style.

THE KIND OF ANSWER THAT MAKES ME REALLY APPRECIATE THIS FORUM. THX.

Top Bottom